SUPERFAT blue damsel...

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Twan013, Aug 3, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

hey guys, another LFS question... in their main display tank, they have a blue damsel that looks like its been blown up like a balloon... i would say that it may be pregnant, but i feel like it should have laid eggs by now.. or died one... i go to this particular store very frequently, and its been this way for around 5 months or so... maybe even longer... today i finally decided to ask about it... i went up to the owner and simply said "that blue damsel over there..." he cut me short with "i have no idea; it used to have a mate....." i mean, i've heard of people eating out of depression, but they usually have an early death... plus, i didn't think fish had the mentality to remember their "loved ones".... hehe... other than the bulging size, it looks like any other normal damsel... about the length of the one i had (3 inches) but twice the girth!... oh, and another interesting thing, it shows no signs of illness.. it swims around, eats, interacts with its surroundings... is it some kind of disease, birth defect, prolonged pregnancy, or what??

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

If acting healthy it probably is. I suspect some fish are fat, some are skinny, most in between. Just like people. :confused:

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

damsels, like clownfish, will lay eggs pretty frequently when they are mature. Dont have to have a mate for them to lay eggs.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Fish are like people they eat to much they get fat.. I'd guess they are being fed to death.. Like with Fat dogs and cats LOL its not like they are buying or opening the food and feeding themselves its the owners fault.. people with Fat pets usually are Fat themselves as are their children.. Its doing the fish no good to be that fat just like with humans :)

6. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

if a fish reaches the size of the dominant fish in a school,the dominant fish will fight with it and the loooser may end up leaving which could mean death.its beleaved that some fish will diet to avoid this situation.maybe that fat fish is reelly happy and feels reelly safe idk.