Clown and Frogspawn

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by BaxterS80, Oct 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

I introduced a large frogspawn to the tank last week and my male perc took right to him. He hardly leaves the frogspawn except when it is time to eat

I just finished feeding the corals and I noticed the male clown has swollen lips. I am wondering if the frogspawn has anything to do with this. I do notice sometimes when he is in the frogspawn he will act strange sometimes, as if he is being stung.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I dont have a clown but, I think you should be fine. Ive read that some clowns will host in many diffrent corals (goniopora,frogspawn,elegance,xenia,etc...) if they cant find an anemone host.

But ill double check anyways.

1 person likes this.
  4. BaxterS80

Hey IBM,
    That was my understanding as well but this clown was very healthy before he started hosting the frogspawn. I have noticed some jerky behavior when he is in or around the coral as if he is being stung....

5. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I guess if they can live in an anemone they can live in the frogspawn. To my knowledge the only way frogspawn stings is with its sweeper tentacles. Post a pic of the fish maybe other members can determine if it has parasites or other infection. (I dont know much about fish parasites or infections ;D)

I think they also display that rubbing (jerky) behavior on anemones.

6. BaxterS80

It is almost as if his mouth is locked open. His lips are also swollen. He is not gasping for air...

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I've had clowns host in Frogspawn without any issue. Usually the issue is that the Frogspawn gets irritated by the Clown and never opens to feed. I've never heard of a FS stinging a clown

J

8. Click Here!

9. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i agree with jason, my maroon clown hosted in my frogspawn and the only negative was the clown became very aggresive after hosting in the frog spawn.

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Check his mouth for a parasite, copepod to be exact. Could have came in on the frogspawn. This type of copepod attacks them inside their mouth. The fish eat it thinking its food, and the parasite holds on to its tongue instead of being ingested. Could be wrong though.

Even though clowns will readily host in various things, that doesnt mean it doesnt sting them. Clowns build up an immunity to their hosts sting so they can live there.

11. Nemo 2

Nemo 2 Bristle Worm

my friend once bought a perc clown from a lfs and it was fine for the first days.then we noticed the same thing but he didnt have a frogspawn. his jaw was always open and his gills were always extended. he found out he had gill disease.he ended dying just before he got home with the medicine.his gills were flared out and mouth always open as if he was gagging or something.wierd disease.

12. BaxterS80

Well, he is eating fine so I am not sure he would have anything in his mouth. We dip all of our corals before putting them in the show tank....