Zoanthid receeding?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Da_Gopherboy, Aug 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

Hello everyone,

So I got a frag of TUBs blue a few weeks ago. Its been going well for the weeks I've had it, and has even began to bud two new polyps. But I'm curious to note something this morning. One of the original polyps remains open 24/7 and while nothing looked wrong with it I did notice something this morning.

It appears that the tentacular crown has begun to receed, at very minimum a few tentacles have disappeared. No other zoanthids in my tank seem to be experiencing any problems. Nothing new added to the tank with the exception of the TUBs blue and some Blue Orgasm Zoanthids. Looked for predators the first week or so after I added the new frags and found nothing.

Phosphates and Nitrates are a little elevated as the R/O went on the fritz and I had two use conditioned tap water for top offs :(.

Tanks been going well for over a year and I'm hoping this isnt the beginning of a trend. Any ideas or advice is welcome :)

Thanks,
    Gavin

2. Click Here!

3. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

If it is just that one polyp, I doubt it's a water quality issue. That would effect everything. It may be an isolated quirk of that polyp; or it could be some sort of infection-ish thing.

To be safe, you could discard that one particular polyp and dip the rest in lugol's (or something else, maybe metronidazole) to keep whatever the problem is from spreading to other things.

In any case, be on the look out for other polyps doing it.

4. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

Ok so now almost a week later, the stems of the polyps are beginning to turn a dark brown color. I've never seen zoanthids die, but all the polyps now are closed (but only on this colony) and nothing has changed except for the discoloration of the stems.

Took the advice and dipped in lugol's, seems to have had no affect. So, tenticles are receeded and now the entire colony has brown stems? This guy on his way out? And if so, any sugjestions? (Dont like having casualties in my tank)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009