ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Teardrop Maxima Clam

Skin: Mint
fishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond repute

gallery
Default Toadstool Leather

My leather coral seems to be doing well, but it closes up often and seems to shed very frequently. I have had the coral for a little over three weeks and has been completely out multiple times, but never very long. Is this a problem or do they do this? It also pinches off a little piece of the top all allows it to float away. Is this reproduction? It has grown a "baby" from the base.
fishyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
3reef Moderator

Corailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

Why yes that is reproduction, budding.

If algae or detritus is accumulating on the surface the leather will try to rid it self more frequently by producing the waxy film.

:-)
Corailline is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Spaghetti Worm

BigJim has a reputation beyond reputeBigJim has a reputation beyond reputeBigJim has a reputation beyond reputeBigJim has a reputation beyond reputeBigJim has a reputation beyond reputeBigJim has a reputation beyond reputeBigJim has a reputation beyond reputeBigJim has a reputation beyond reputeBigJim has a reputation beyond reputeBigJim has a reputation beyond reputeBigJim has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

my toad stool did that at first, but pointing a power head right over the top of it helped. Don't blast it with a power head but try to get enough flow going over the top of it to keep the detritus off of it.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Teardrop Maxima Clam

fishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond reputefishyfinder has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
my toad stool did that at first, but pointing a power head right over the top of it helped. Don't blast it with a power head but try to get enough flow going over the top of it to keep the detritus off of it.
Yes, I think I need to move it a bit. It has ok flow over it, but I don't think its enough.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Teardrop Maxima Clam

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corailline View Post
Why yes that is reproduction, budding.

If algae or detritus is accumulating on the surface the leather will try to rid it self more frequently by producing the waxy film.

:-)
Always to the Rescue! I honestly can't thank you enough, my tanks are because of you.

The tang picks up sand pieces and drops them in the middle, could this be the cause?

O what is the best way to raise these little buds. I have a glad tub in there with mushrooms, so they can attach themselves. Should i put them in there?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
3reef Moderator

Corailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

I suppose that is possible, anything on the surface of the toad stool (sacrophyton) will contribute to the build up of the waxy film.

Since you posted this I have been looking for the name of that waxy film, and dang it I can not find in books on line no where, so if anybody knows I would appreciate it, cough SushiGirl, ummm cough......

I do however know that the waxy film can contribute to tissue loss for other corals should it land on them, something to consider.

Always glad I could help.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Teardrop Maxima Clam

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corailline View Post
I suppose that is possible, anything on the surface of the toad stool (sacrophyton) will contribute to the build up of the waxy film.

Since you posted this I have been looking for the name of that waxy film, and dang it I can not find in books on line no where, so if anybody knows I would appreciate it, cough SushiGirl, ummm cough......

I do however know that the waxy film can contribute to tissue loss for other corals should it land on them, something to consider.

Always glad I could help.
And that's why the zoas are closed up.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
3reef Moderator

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

Ahh yes.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
Whip-Lash Squid

grinder37 has a reputation beyond reputegrinder37 has a reputation beyond reputegrinder37 has a reputation beyond reputegrinder37 has a reputation beyond reputegrinder37 has a reputation beyond reputegrinder37 has a reputation beyond reputegrinder37 has a reputation beyond reputegrinder37 has a reputation beyond reputegrinder37 has a reputation beyond reputegrinder37 has a reputation beyond reputegrinder37 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

It's called slough,or sloughing.Toadies like good flow and also helps keep it cleaner keeping it from sloughing as often and will also stay open much more.But leathers in general can be moody corals and it is common for them to not look thier best all the time.But good light,flow and water quality (carbon is a must imo with any leathers) they're almost indestrucable.I have several and mine has also given me several babies too.Let them attach themselves to a rock or rubble with a rubber band for a week or two.Piece of cake!
grinder37 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
Teardrop Maxima Clam

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder37 View Post
It's called slough,or sloughing.Toadies like good flow and also helps keep it cleaner keeping it from sloughing as often and will also stay open much more.But leathers in general can be moody corals and it is common for them to not look thier best all the time.But good light,flow and water quality (carbon is a must imo with any leathers) they're almost indestrucable.I have several and mine has also given me several babies too.Let them attach themselves to a rock or rubble with a rubber band for a week or two.Piece of cake!
o sweet! thank you sir. Carbon is goin in!

Click Here!