Toadstool Leather

Discussion in 'Coral' started by fishyfinder, Jan 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

My leather coral seems to be doing well, but it closes up often and seems to shed very frequently. I have had the coral for a little over three weeks and has been completely out multiple times, but never very long. Is this a problem or do they do this? It also pinches off a little piece of the top all allows it to float away. Is this reproduction? It has grown a "baby" from the base.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Why yes that is reproduction, budding.

If algae or detritus is accumulating on the surface the leather will try to rid it self more frequently by producing the waxy film.

:)

4. BigJim

BigJim Spaghetti Worm

my toad stool did that at first, but pointing a power head right over the top of it helped. Don't blast it with a power head but try to get enough flow going over the top of it to keep the detritus off of it.

5. fishyfinder

Yes, I think I need to move it a bit. It has ok flow over it, but I don't think its enough.

6. fishyfinder

Always to the Rescue! I honestly can't thank you enough, my tanks are because of you.

The tang picks up sand pieces and drops them in the middle, could this be the cause?

O what is the best way to raise these little buds. I have a glad tub in there with mushrooms, so they can attach themselves. Should i put them in there?

1 person likes this.
  7. Corailline

I suppose that is possible, anything on the surface of the toad stool (sacrophyton) will contribute to the build up of the waxy film.

Since you posted this I have been looking for the name of that waxy film, and dang it I can not find in books on line no where, so if anybody knows I would appreciate it, cough SushiGirl, ummm cough......

I do however know that the waxy film can contribute to tissue loss for other corals should it land on them, something to consider.

Always glad I could help. :):):)

8. Click Here!

9. fishyfinder

And that's why the zoas are closed up.

10. Corailline

11. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

It's called slough,or sloughing.Toadies like good flow and also helps keep it cleaner keeping it from sloughing as often and will also stay open much more.But leathers in general can be moody corals and it is common for them to not look thier best all the time.But good light,flow and water quality (carbon is a must imo with any leathers) they're almost indestrucable.I have several and mine has also given me several babies too.Let them attach themselves to a rock or rubble with a rubber band for a week or two.Piece of cake!:)

12. fishyfinder

o sweet! thank you sir. Carbon is goin in!