Sweeper Tentacles

Discussion in 'Coral' started by pgreef, Sep 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

So my frogspawn has gotten huge lately as has my leather. The right side of the frogspawn is starting to get into the shadow of my leather. Up until a few days ago I have never seen the frogspawn put out sweeper tentacles before. Now, the side that is getting shaded is putting out 3 or 4 of them.

Last night one of them was 3 inches long. It moved around in the current until it made contact with the leather and stuck to it. A small sectin of the leather got stung and its tentacles retracted. It looks fine today.

So I was wondering if the frogspawn actually detected the shading from the leather and decided it was time to go to war. Has anybody else seen this behavior?

2. Click Here!

3. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

The Frogspawn knew ahead of time the Leather was there. Just sometimes they tend to get more aggresive than usual. The best thing to do is seperate the two of them. They can both become toxic and that is not what you want. My Bubble requires extra space and can get very nasty if thing's are to close to him.
    Ghost

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

My bubble and torch are very agressive. Keep the xenia pruned back. You can tell when they get attacked, the xenia looks burnt and crispy and then shrinks to nothing.

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

interesting, two days ago I changed my flow around and now its blowing my frogspawn a little more than before. I noticed its sweeper tentacles out today after it adjusted to this new current... wonder if its a similar response to yours?

6. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Hmmm, maybe I should move the frogspawn to the patch of xenia i'd like to get rid of. Unfortunately my Bali Green Slimer is there too.

7. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I'm running out of space in my tank. Real estate is getting very hard to come by in there.

8. Click Here!

9. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

It will do the job, believe me. One of my frogspawn I never see the sweepers. One little frag always has the sweepers out. My bubble, and torch, I would think they are always on the warpath looking for something to burn :lol: My torch fully open is about 10 inches across, so I can't keep much else around it. The bubble burned out and killed a few really nice palys too.

10. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I'm tempted to frag a head off the frogspawn and just move it around to different Xenia patches. The whole thing is too big. The chance of collateral damage is too high.

11. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

I understand about the crowded neighborhood, I have a Bubble Coral I am ready to get rid of. I want a more peaceful simple tank rather than all the chemical warfare. You could alway's take the Leather in for store credit, or give it to me.
    Ghost

12. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I love that leather. It's awesome. Maybe I need a bigger tank.;D