Ouch! Stung by sweeper :(

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Dingo, Mar 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Just a reminder to use gloves! I was just quickly re-gluing a chalice frag today and apparently it got mad that I took it out of the water... So it extended some sweepers and stung me! I now have a blister on my thumb from it :( so just make sure to always use protection everyone...

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Sorry that happened. It's a good idea to take a Benadryl after getting stung.

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Thanks curt, will do! My thumb is now numb from the knuckle down :-/

5. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

holy cow didnt realize chalices could sting like that!!!!!

I always already use shoulder-length exam gloves - I will certainly continue to do so!!!

6. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

OUch :s. Gloves! Might want to get it checked out if it still bothers you in a day or so...

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sorry to hear, thanks for the warning. Shopping list note to self add gloves to frag kit and USE them.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Wow, that's surprising, I've never felt a negative effect from an LPS coral. I've read some people build up a sensitivity though, over time. So, I wonder, does that means you fiddle with your tank too much :p haha j/k

In all seriousness, sorry to hear that, benadryl should help and soak in hot water. Shouldn't joke about gloves though, really very important for you and your livestocks sake.

10. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Will it only happend out of the water? I have touched(ON accident) alot of my corals feeder tentacles..They dont stink me at all! aha

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It's more of a factor if you're allergic to that species. For instance, I'm allergic to Euphylliidae. That is why I suggested the Benadryl (it's an antihistamine)

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Ouch!! Hope you're feeling better already. Doctor is your friend if you aren't better in couple days. Don't want to get an infection or anything!

Feel better!