Myth or Fact?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by JJL, Mar 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Do very fancy zoas take longer to grow than less fancy ones?

1. True

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. False

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I have heard that very fancy zoas take longer to spread than less fancy ones. Is this true? What do you think?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

my eagle eye zoas spread pretty fast, I guess they aren't the fanciest but they are nice.

Nice ones probably seem to spread slower because you start with less of them.

all corals grow at different rates

4. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

how would you define "fancy"?

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

There's no option for, "Sometimes".

In the end, it's all supply and demand. Sometimes specific species grow slower (cutting down on supply) and therefore, their prices get bid up. Sometimes, the coral grows just fine and a whole bunch of people want it and demand is increased beyond reason and the price gets elevated. (Remember tech stocks a few years ago???). Heck, I can still remember when Acan's were considered ugly. LOL

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I have 2 species of Acan and a blasto, and I still consider them ugly in comparison to sps and zoas.:laughings

7. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I chose false, but in a way I wish I had chosen true. The problem is that your statement is a generalization that, on average, is probably true. I'll use an example to explain.

Pretend there are only 20 types of zoa's in the world. Now pretend that of those, 5 grow fast, 5 grow medium, and 10 grow lowly. You will see lots of the first group, some of the second group, and very few of the third. The result will be the last group being labeled "fancy."

My example is also a terrible generalization, but I hope it helps illustrate the problem. Remember also that the relevant growth rate is growth in an aquarium. If a type grows fast in aquaria, it will be more prevalent on the market. The result is that, by definition, the more common a zoa is, the faster it grows.

8. Click Here!

9. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Just ot give readers an idea of fancy: I am talking like darth mauls and stuff along the lines of that