How fast do corals frags grow?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Green_Clavulari, Nov 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Green_Clavulari

Green_Clavulari Spaghetti Worm

I am curious how fast do frags grow. I am guessing it also depends on what type of corals, foods, lighting, etc???

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I do not believe there is any constant really. Too many variables as you already mentioned, water chemistry playing a big part as well.

As a generalization I think it's safe to say that soft corals such GSP, xenia, colt, kenya tree, sacrophytons (the leathers) are the fastest growers.

LPS such as Duncan, the Euphyllias are moderately fast grows under the right conditions where Chalice would probably considered a slow grower.

Acropora or other SPS, under the right conditions Montipora and Pocillopora as well as Seriatopora hystrix are all considered some of the faster growing sps. Red Planet, Valida and some Millepora are some of the faster growing Acropora if you like watching/waiting for a pot of water to boil.

1 person likes this.
  4. Bustopher

Bustopher Skunk Shrimp

I like watching grass grow. What coral would be good for me?

As far a variables. Lighting, Water Flow, Water Quality, Nutrients(inc food), Calcium and other elements all make a difference.
    Some more than others for the different coral groups Corailine mentioned.

Any type of coral you were wondering about?

1 person likes this.
  5. Green_Clavulari

Green_Clavulari Spaghetti Worm

Thank you so much for the response everyone. I appreciate that.