Help! how do I feed Corals...newbe

Discussion in 'Coral' started by cam1970, Mar 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cam1970

cam1970 Plankton

Hi, I bought a used 210 tank with lots of corals....I've only had "fish only" tanks and have no idea how to feed them. I am looking for general feeding tips so I dont starve them. I am sure there are sophistcated feeding techniques but I need general info quick because Ive had them for about a month. The guy I bought the tank from gave me, "Liquid reef", "strontion, magnesion and phytoplex. Ive put some of that stuff in but have no idea what Im doing. Help.

2. Click Here!

3. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Well there is different methods for different corals. You really don't NEED to feed most corals. They get most of their food from symbiotic algae. Some lps being the exception you should feed meaty food smaller then their mouth.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

4. cam1970

cam1970 Plankton

Thx. The guy i bought the tank from was like quirt "every once and awhile" and really didnt seem it was important. I figured they were eating something. So, I get alot of algea on the glass because of my lights and brush it off every day, so do u think they are eating that?

5. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

I feed my LPS bloodworks, krill, and mysis depending on the size of the coral. You really just need the food to touch the "tenicals" and they will bring it to their mouths. I use some small tongs but you can also place a cut open bottle or something similar with food in it. I typically turn all my powerheads off while feeding as well.

6. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

Well the first thing I would suggest is list the type of corals you have :)
    If you have a sun coral you need to feed it 4 to 7 days a week if you have a chili coral you need to feed it 3 times a week - I feed my brain coral,bubble coral and torch coral once a week (that's just me)
    I add phyto once every two weeks

7. cam1970

cam1970 Plankton

Thanks. Btw, what is LPS? This what I

8. Click Here!

9. cam1970

cam1970 Plankton

I have Hammers, mushrooms, toad stolls, brain, and others I don't know what they are.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The brain is going to be the only noticeable active eater. Looks for a feeding response at night. tentacles of the polyp will be open and offer it some mysis or cyclops. After a couple tries it will start to display the feeding response quicker and more consistently and you can feed during the day.
    Most mushrooms receive enough nutrition via lighting, but they will take food if it is allowed to sit on the mushroom long enough for the mushroom to move the food and consume it.
    Hammer and euphyllias I have never had much luck feeding. They might receive more nutrition through passive movement of water while changing the amount of fluid within the tissues or a type of filtering, but more nutrition is again gained from sufficient lighting.

11. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

If you post pics we can help you with the feeding requirements. The hammer and Brain are LPS (Large Polyp Stony) corals. I would feed the brain and possibly the hammer. I typically don't feed my hammer but spot feed my brain coral 1-2 times a week.

12. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

are cam1970 and tank1970 related?

they have the same surname it seems

LOL

sorry, Ill get me coat