hard corals vs. soft corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by hottielover14, Aug 9, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i dont just want a sps tank or a soft coral tank i want to kind of mix them. I have a xenia and yellow polyps and a brown acro and a corcea clam, soon to have a maxima. would the sps coral or LPS sting my snails and my clam. how far do i space them apart. what kind of sps and lps do you guys reccomend for my mixed tank.

2. Click Here!

3. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

No, I wouldn't worry about the snails or the Crocea clam. You should probably leave a few inches between each coral because they will grow. I would recommend you stick with just a few easier to keep SPS until you get your halides. IT's all up to you what kinds you prefer. The open brain your looking at will do great.

4. hottielover14

will they sting my xenia or yellow polyps. what other kind of sps corals can it keep with my PC.

5. hottielover14

just a few inches. don't they send out stingers.

6. reefman_MC

Some kinds of coral can send out stinger, but if you see the stinger you just move the coral.

7. hottielover14

what if i dont' see the stinger until it's too late. or if they release it at night i cant see it.

8. Click Here!

9. reefman_MC

The stinger will not kill the whole coral over night. It may kill the part that it touches. If it does kill one little place on the other coral it will come back out.

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I currently have a SPS and LPS tank. I have some LPS hammer and a Bubble that can send feeders out 6 to 8 inches. This is a big concern of mine but all I can do is give the LPS the room they need and monitor there growth. I am currently researching the best way to frag them. I do not want to kill the LPS in the fragging process but again I need to keep my SPS safe.

All I can suggest is to give the LPS space. The only way to determine the space they need is to constantly monitor there growth and give them room

J

11. reefman_MC

What kind of LPS are you thinking of fragging?

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

[quote author=reefman_MC link=board=Coral;num=1092089118;start=0#6 date=08/09/04 at 15:49:06]The stinger will not kill the whole coral over night. It may kill the part that it touches. If it does kill one little place on the other coral it will come back out.[/quote]

I beg to differ, there's WAY to many variables to come to that conclusion. Size, type and potency all come to mind. FWIW, I've seen entire colonies get killed overnight from sweeper tentacles, both small and large.