Green Bubble Tip Anemone ate its own tentacle??

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Evan127, Oct 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Evan127

Evan127 Spaghetti Worm

So, it seems that my anemone decided to put one of its tentacles in its mouth yesterday. Thinking that that was not its intention, I thought it would spit it out. Well, this morning I noticed that it spit out the tentacle, but its a lot shorter now. He ate at least half of it!! Its "spitting" out stuff from the open end of the tentacle. I feed him shrimp about once a week. Is that not enough? What happened here? My parameters are fine (nitrate is a bit over 0, but I am correcting that). Please help!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

how big is it and maybe feed it silver sides

4. Evan127

Evan127 Spaghetti Worm

I would say its diameter is about the same diameter as a glass, give or take. What are silver sides? :S

5. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

silver sides are small feeder fish...

6. Evan127

Evan127 Spaghetti Worm

What happened to it? Has this happened to anyone else before? I'm worried

7. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

Anemones are not for the easily panic'd. They are idiotic and aggravating. Keep an eye on it and the usual rules apply. If it discolors , if it changes in size massively or does anything else out of the norm post in ASAP. Otherwise there's not a reason for an increase in caution, if an anemone is going to die, it's going to die. If it's not, it's not.

8. Click Here!

9. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

I have never heard of it.. but i wouldnt worry. I have seen nems get caught in powerheads and destroy 3/4 of their tentacles and live.
    You sure that half the tentacle is gone? it may have just deflated after getting stuck in the mouth

10. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Mine has stuck its tentacles in its mouth before. I never saw it eat the end off though.

[​IMG]

11. Evan127

Evan127 Spaghetti Worm

No, stuff defiantly came out of it. Mine usually somewhat deflates at night, but puffs up about 20 minutes after my lights are on. My parameters are fine (except the nitrate, which is coming down). I hope it doesn't die on me! I will keep an eye on it and post pics soon!

12. psykokid

psykokid Plankton

Mine will munch a tentacle or two on occasion, never seen stuff come out of the end of it though. Mine is well fed too, eats half a silverside or some krill every other day.