goniopora growth pics

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Bogie, Jul 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Despite some species of goniopora generally not doing well in captivity, and most only living 6-12 months, I actually think ours is growing. I've recently noticed several tiny polyps growing in between the larger ones. They can only be seen when the flow is enough to push the larger polyps to the side, so it took 40-something shots just to get some decent pics here.

I don't target feed these, and the tank has been set up less than a year.
    I'm not saying that this one has defeated all odds here, and it may very well be dead in less than 6 months from now. But I think this growth is a good sign. :)

Click on the pictures to "blow them up", it shows much better detail that way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Sweet bogie! Sure wish it was an easy coral to keep.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Looks good buddy I think you have the Alveopora rather then the Goniopora the latter has a more dome shape and longer slimmer tenticals where yours looking like the first A'opora has shorter stub by tenticals and its a more encrusting coral and they do tend to do better in tanks as they do not set on the bottom like the others do. There wasa post today of a Goniopora if you can find that you will see the differences , They are the really short lived ones in a tank. But ll this being said what ever you are doing keep it up LOL Looks great no matter what it is LOL