Getting my first coral tomorrow!!!!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Puffer Chick, Dec 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i'll post pics here sometime tomorrow after i buy it and get done acclimating it! i'm so excited! i plan on buying two frags, and getting either a peppermint or clean shrimp as well!

2. Click Here!

3. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Go for the cleaner shrimp over the peppermint, there way more beneficial and more ornimental to boot. As for acclimating corals, I wouldn't go too crazy. All I ever do is float their bag to get the temp right then in they go. The shrimps, however, are a totally different story.

~Will.

4. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

I agree go for the cleaner shrimp. Tons of personality and they are just plain cool. Congrats on the coral.

5. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

agreed with the above said. corals dont need much acclimation other than temperature. so just float the bag for about 15 mins and your good to go. the shrimp i usually drip acclimate for about an hour. or just take a glass and pour a little bit at a time for an hour.

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

swee thanks, i was thinking about having both shrimps in the tank but only getting them one at a time, the lfs doesn't have much fish, i haven't checked out their inverts, but i'm hoping they will have the cleaner, and yea i've heard it takes a while to acclimate, i don't have a way to drip, so looks like i'll be opening and closing the bag for a wihle :D glad it only takes 10 minutes to float the coral, wasn't sure how long to acclimate them :D

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea i had seen a huge cleaner shrimp in one of the lfs DT that had a crazy outbrake of ich, the shrimp had HUGE antenas thought he was pretty cool, i hope they have more for sale

yea i do the glas and pour a little every 5 minutes for my fish and inverts, i'll extend it for an hour with the shrimp, that's why my parents and i are going to put up the christmas lights before we go to the lfs tomorrow :D

I can't wait for my zoas and or polyps!

8. Click Here!

9. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

that is how I did my shrimp and had no problems. Slow drip with a air tube tied in a knot to allow a slow drip. Same with coral. temp acclimate and then glue in place so my "bull" snails do not push it to the sand.

10. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

I have bought "not for sale" cleaner shrimp in display tanks by offering the shop to buy a piece of coral or 2 only if they will fish out that cleaner for me. I have a single peppermint shrimp in my tank (only one left of the trio I bought) and I only see it once a week or so.

~Will.

11. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

Splurge and go for both.

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i'll be having to glue down all or most of my corals because of the urchin

wow that sucks, i'm deffiently getting the cleaner then