Corals Only?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by cannedmulder, Sep 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Does anyone have a coral only tank? You hear of a FOWLR all the time but what about only corals? I find I watch my corals almost more than my fish. I would figure you would still need a cleaning crew but the rest could be coral right? You don't have to have fish do you? It isn't like a sybiotic relationship with fish is it? Maybe sybiotic isn't the right word. Corals don't have to have fish to grow right? Just wondering?

2. Click Here!

3. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

No, you can have a coral only tank...You would just have to feed a bit more often. My reef started as a coral only tank till i finally gave in and got fish. I was sick of people coming to my place and staying "WOW nice fish tank! where are your fish?" LOL

4. cannedmulder

Am I right in still needing a clean crew? What kinda set up would you need? I think a nano tank would look cool with coral only!

5. That Guy

A nano would be fine for softies and LPS...I find SPS generally do better in bigger tanks cause you have more water volume which makes maintaining a stable environment. Like the old saying "SPS = stability promotes success"
    As far as a cleaner crew it would be just the same as if you had fish.Inverts to eat algae and scavengers to eat excess food because of the added feeding you would need because you dont have fish.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: Never heard that one before. You're such a coral nerd :D

7. That Guy

i cant take credit for that :) that was Jas... but you're right, i am a coral nerd yet you are a moderator on a reef forum ah hahah!!

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

yea you can have coral only. its not a new idea its just most people tend to like the fish better. the fish are what tends to bring people into the hobby very few people start for the corals exclusively, so thats why you don't see many tanks like that. as far as symbiosis the answer is not really a few corals will eat fish poo, but they can be feed other stuff too like mentioned above. personally i need something to look at so i could prolly do a shrimp and coral tank but i couldnt watch a coral only tank it would be like watching a garden.

11. cannedmulder

Hmmmm.....I like watching my garden and all its bugs.....Maybe in the future when we have a bigger house for another tank. My husband has a 3 fish tank limit......

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

ya bunch of coral nerds!!!