Coral ID

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Toallhisdoom, May 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Hey guys, here is a pic of my 75 gallon. Just got a bunch of new corals. The 3 purple rocks in front are GSP, there is a frag of YSP ontop right. Toadstool in middle, hammer coral on top left with a small brain next to it. Trying to figure out what the name of the one in the middle left on bottom between to big rocks of gsp is. They guy said it was a brain coral but does not look like my other brain coral.

This pic was taken minutes after the new corals were introduced, after 2 days the star polyps have started to come out, the toadstool looks more closed up tho, i hope it is alright.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

your talking about the one in the sand? if so it a candy cane/trump coral (samething)

4. Toallhisdoom

Ohhh ok. I like it is got a lot of pink 2 it. Now do i need to like feed any of these corals? or are they all photosyntetic?

Candy cane, gsp, ysp, brain, hammer, toadstool, zoas. Or will just the flake and formula 2, and mysis i feed the tank be enough? or should i use something else?

5. Toallhisdoom

Also how much calcium are these guys gonna use? i know the candy cane will because thats how it builds its skeleton correct? Will just a bi weekly water change be sufficient?

6. Toallhisdoom

7. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Your talking about the coral up top on the left of the Hammer correct? If so then that does indeed look to be a brain coral. In which case your going to want to move it down to the sand bed and kept well away from other corals. The Trumpets are the ones on the sand bed. Wont be no pink in them :)

Here's a wonderful tool/reference for coral placement and food requirements. What Your Coral Needs | Successful Reef Keeping

As for feeding LPS they love small meaty foods, however they do not need it to survive. Except for the Lobo, him your going to want to feed :) Maintaining your calcium in the 420-450 range will be fine. By testing for cal regularly you'll be able to see just how much is being used. 3 most important test for keeping stoney corals are ca/alk/mag. Stability being key. Lobo/Hammer/Trumpet are all LPS and use calcium.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. Toallhisdoom

the one on top left is deff a brain, but so is the one on the bottom mid/left. That is the new one i just received and was told it was a lobo brain coral. It looks just like all the pics of it. I will get a better close up pic of it tonight.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Closer pics will help, it could be either a trumpet coral or lobo.

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

The guy on the sandbed is a lobo.

12. Toallhisdoom

agreed