Coral choice

Discussion in 'Coral' started by jessel518, Mar 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

So this is my first tank and recently I started to look at some corals. I would like to to softies and lps and was wondering if I need any equipment upgrades or if i can start buy some corals. Also what would be some good choices for corals. Its a 75 DT, my flow is about 28x per hour and have 4x54ho t5 with individual reflectors and ati bulbs. Thanx for all the help.

2. Click Here!

3. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

those lights are plenty.. toadstools, zoas, mushrooms, acans, candycanes, hammer, frogspawn, xenia, kenya tree, palys,

also monti caps are very hardy and easy to grow, but is sps..

4. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

So it sounds like im not really limited in my coral choice. Would I need more flow in the tank for the monti being that its an sps? Also as far as the placement in the tank goes for any of the corals, am I limited to where they could go?

5. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Montipora Caps, Montipora Digitatas, Stylophoras... are a few easier SPS They requier a bit less light and just more flow, so In the tank placement would just be higher.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You would want more flow the the montis about 40x or more.

You would want the SPS in the top half and the softies and LPS in the bottom half, you may need to partially shade some of the softies.

7. jessel518

jessel518 Fire Worm

Ok thanks. I think thats why im going to try and stay away from the sps for now also. I have 2 koralia in there all ready and all though I think they are doing good they are an eye sore and would hate to have to add more power heads. Maybe after I get rid of the diy overflow and buy a hang on back kind I will be able to hide on behind the rocks or something.