Clown Fish & Anemone

Discussion in 'Coral' started by TankBoyME, Jan 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TankBoyME

TankBoyME Astrea Snail

Hi all...
    Been wandering this site for about 2 months now, and finally registered. You wouldn't know it, but many of you have influenced my recent purchases and conversations @ the LFS :) so thank you!

I'm ready to ditch some tank tenants and upgrade. I would like nothing more than the cliche anemone w/ paired percula clowns.

What type of Anemone would be best???
    I already have a friend who's giving me a nice pulsating Xenia. Would the clowns claim both?? Choose the Anemone over the Xenia?

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

BTA, bubble tip anenome. Very hardy, very pretty (if maintained properly) and clowns seem to take to them well. I have three in my 55gal. I couldnt fit more stuff in my signature :D

Welcome to 3reef! Doesn't it feel good to be able to post :)

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

First of all, welcome aboard. From my exp. clowns will always choose the anemone over anything else. LTA's, BTA's, carpet's are the more common choices. BTW, you have 48 hrs to post some pics of your system or your membership will have some difficulties:lol:

2 people like this.
  5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hi and welcome to 3reef!
    I have a Tomato Clown that has called my Xenia forest home for the past 7 months or so. I don't have an anemone in that particular tank however. I have a Percula Clown in my small tank(daughter's tank) that for a year and a half, showed no interest in the Pacific Long-Tentacle anemone that was also in there. It wasn't till the year and a half lapsed before my Clown, all of the sudden, started to call the anemone home!
    So, you may in fact not need a host anemone as a surrogate home, but can possibly use euphyllia, Tridacna clams, Xenia or other types of soft corals or possibly some other alternatuive that suits the Clowns fancy!
    NOTE: You do not need to place an anemone in a tank housing a Clown for it to live a healthy and happy life...they will do fine without them as well!
    Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. TankBoyME

TankBoyME Astrea Snail

Lunatik...

I about died of laughter when I saw your avatar. I went on a Carnival cruise. I woke up, and a towel monkey was staring at me. It scared the crap out of me, and for the rest of the trip I was very uneasy when in my room alone with the towel monkey :cry:

So sounds like you guys are advocates of the BTA. Thanks!!

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

My kids went ballistic when they saw the monkey. They had a blast!!!
    I personally like the LTA's and the BTA's. Carpets are a little princess like, if you know what i mean.

8. Click Here!

9. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

We don't have an anemone either, however, our mated pair have taken to our Toadstool coral, like a fish takes to water...LOL....8) Welcome to 3reef...

1 person likes this.
  10. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

what kind of lights are you running

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

12. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

WHAAAAATTT???? I can only speak from the one carpet I have but I think carnivorous, fish eating, aggressive, crab grabbing glutten is a far more accurate description. And...while they host clowns...they are not above eating them once in a while either. :lol:

1 person likes this.