Can ich live on corals/frags?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by SwimsWithFish, Dec 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Would buying a frag from a tank that has a fish with ich in it be wise?

2. Click Here!

3. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

It would be possible to bring ich in on a frag. I wouldn't recommend buying from a tank with ich visible in it.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

Although only fish can become infected, a "pregnant" cyst could be attached to the frag, plug, LR, or any other submerged surface. Once introduced into your tank, it will release free-swimming larvae to find their fish host(s).

5. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Alrighty, no petco frags for me! Thanks:)

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

You could buy a good coral dip like CoralRX. Which you should be doing anyways :) dipping all new corals no matter where they come from.

7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Every tank has ich in it... It's just whether or not your fish are Going to get it based on how stressed or healthy they are. Your tank already has ich but your fish are likely able to fight it off easily if they don't show symptoms.
    So yes, get the frag and don't worry about it

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I don't think it is even advertised for ich. It's pretty much completely unknown what most dips do and don't do and that's for things they do advertise! If they don't even advertise it, I definitely wouldn't assume it would work :) just my .02.

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I would always error on the side of caution. You usually can't go wrong there. If you are really worried about ich though, you could always a UV Sterilizer on your system which can take care of all free floating ich parasites for you.

11. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

saltwater ich has never been shown to be killed by UV, by the way. It is hypothesized, although the hypothesized dosage is much higher than most people run. Estimates range from 280,000 µWsec/cm2 to 800,000 µWsec/cm2.

1 person likes this.
  12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I completely agree... the UV myth is one of the worst ones out there. The only thing that UV sterilizers do to your tank is to reduce your natural bacteria bioload.