Brown jelly disease

Discussion in 'Coral' started by tank1970, Mar 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

Has anyone had this issue in their reef? My brother called me this week and said he was losing a Hammer coral to a brown jelly algae. He said his system has not changed in the last 90 days (no new adds or parameter swings)
    He has not sent a photo yet but from his description it sounds like brown jelly disease or dino.

I sent him a link on brown jelly and he siphoned off what he could and did an iodine dip. Will he be able to save his hammer or once this get's into the system will the other corals be effected?

Should he cut his losses and toss the hammer or try to frag it?

Anyone with experience please chime in.

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Every euph I've got from my LFS has ended up with BJD.
    It will effect zoa's/paly's if the bacterial "jelly" settles on them. Not sure about other corals.
    In both of my cases I've removed the corals and given baths in Lugols and still ended up losing them. But I've read success stories. Good luck with yours.

4. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Happened to me a few times as well.
    In one case out of say 5, I got a torch to survive with the dip. I used coral Rx.

5. tank1970

thanks for the input - dose not sound good

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  6. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Have you looked into Vitamin C dosing?

I recently quelled a small outbreak of BJD with a 30 PPM dosing of sodium ascorbate (pure vitamin C) and within 4 days - POOF - no sign of BJD. PE on the LPS was greater an the zoas are showing immediate recovery from the small loss on the BJD.

7. tank1970

Oh wow that sounds like a good idea :) - how did you measure 30ppm?

8. Click Here!

9. tank1970

I will tell my brother to pick some up

10. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

I dont like to post from other forums on here but RC has a HUGE thread on Vitamin C dosing. You can search for it there. They also recommend the place to buy the sodium ascorbate from (as it is a pharm. grade product not available in most stores - there is also a $5 off coupon which will pay for shipping.
    The methodology of dosing is well-outlined on that thread once you find it.

There is a formula given for a "100 gallon system" which can be easily modified to adapt to your system size.

Start with 5PPM/twice daily and work your way up to 30 PPM twice daily over the course of a week.

You will likely see a bacterial bloom - have a water change ready when start dosing and be prepared to cut back if you get a bacterial bloom.

Other than that you will enjoy better fish health, better LPS health and reduced nitrates. I have not cleaned the glass on my tank in WEEKS and the small ammount of algae/diatoms growing on the glass has receded in the last two weeks with the Vitamin C dosing which also acts as a "carbon dosing" source which many people swear by in the ULNS systems.

Hope this helps.

PM me if you have more questions.

1 person likes this.