Xenia - March '06 Coral of the Month

Discussion in 'Coral of the Month' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Pulsing Xenia (Xenia Sp.)

Click for image.

Type: Soft Coral
    Family: Xeniidae
    Origin: Indo-Pacific

Aquarium Needs -

Lighting: The Xenia coral is a photosynthetic species that requires medium to strong lighting. If you are using power compact lighting, the xenia can be placed mid to high levels. Xenia can be placed at the bottom but be sure to watch for signs of decline. With metal halide lighting, the Xenia will be best placed in the low and middle levels of the tank...it can be placed high but make sure to acclimate it slowly.

Water Quality: The Xenia coral can be very sensitive to changes in water quality or lighting, one example of this is the addition of carbon. This coral is also one that might fare better in a system with minimal skimming.

Current: Xenia do better with a medium stength current. Fast currents pushing on xenia will cause this coral to move in the direction of the current causing overgrowth if not kept under control.

Temperament: This coral should be kept in a system with a temperature of about 76-79 degrees.

Supplemental Feeding: Although this coral does not require supplemental feeding in the tradition sense, in the form of coral food or brine/mytis shrimp it does do better with the addition of iodine (testing before each dose) and other trace elements. Because this coral absorbs nutrients directly from the water it is needed to test water to make sure the supplement levels are correct.

Frag Difficulty: This is one of the easiest corals I personally have ever propagated. This coral is very hardy when it comes down to the physical abuse of fragging, infact it is said that tearing the coral, versus cutting, promotes growth in the new frag. The best way to frag this coral from a large colony is to first get a small bowl, fill it with aquarium water and place a small rock in it. then cut or tear a branch fully off of the mother colony coral. After this is done place the frag on the rock and secure it in place either using a toothpick or a rubberband. In my expirence a rubber band is esier if the frag is larger, but if the frag slips right out, then use a toothpick.

Personal Observations -

The Xenia coral is one of my, if not, my favorite coral. This coral is very easy to keep and is truly a show-stopper when guests come to see a tank. Many people cannot believe that the coral polyps are pulsing on their own.

Some things to watch out for this coral are to not be scared if once and a while the coral does not look so good. I have three types of Xenia coral and they all go through the same phaze of shriveling up and turning dark purple. Really the only time that you should be worried about a Xenia coral is if it starts to melt...and belive me you will know when that happens.

This Coral of the Month submitted by Bruce. Thanks for becoming a 3reef Contributor and earning 50 karma!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

:tongue4: Is that some sort of hint? ;D

Don't forget to check the temp of the water on changes when using water made in a cool basement.
    :stupid:

1 person likes this.
  4. telman2010

telman2010 Bristle Worm

LOL Blade Runner;D

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Man look at that great stuff

6. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Hey Matt great thread.

what about some of the common things that occur w/this particular coral? I've seen hundreds of posts where someone will ask why thier Xenia has stopped pulsing.

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hey! look who wrote it :p Well one main reason why xenia will stop pulsing is because of low pH...in fact a higher pH will make xenia pulse faster!

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Well everything seems in order here, Gresham what are you talking about?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Bruce, that's best left for a PM ;) As is my post!

11. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I guess I'm a couple years too late. Better late than never.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

No way!! Just fashionably late!!!!!!!!!