leather coral dying??

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by italiareef, Aug 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. italiareef

italiareef Astrea Snail

So i purchased a beautiful what looked to be a finger leather coral about a week ago and it seems to be dying!! When i purchased it, it was a beautiful orange color and the day after i put it in my tank it opened up beautifully and looked to be in full health. A few days later I noticed that it had retracted completely and is still fully closed and a dark blue/purplish color. What would have caused this and how can i get i back to full health!?!

2. Click Here!

3. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

probably growing. Leathers will shrivel up and shed when sand is sitting on their flesh, they shrivel at night, and they shrivel/shed when they grow. As long as your water quality is good, you shouldn;t have a problem keeping that thing alive.

4. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Yeah, either it's growing or it is just taking time to get used to your tank. Most leathers are extremely hardy and don't die so easily. When I first got mine, it did not extend its polyps for about 3 weeks, and now it's growing like a weed. Just leave it alone for a while and it will probably be ok.

5. italiareef

italiareef Astrea Snail

ok thanks for the responses, but im thinking of putting a picture up just so everyone can see exactly how it looks

6. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

What kind of leather do you have thats orange? I would love to see a pic if possible, and I hope its not a carnation.

~Will.

7. italiareef

italiareef Astrea Snail

well it was more a bright fleshy color and looked like an orange from a distance

8. Click Here!

9. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Pics would be good...

10. italiareef

italiareef Astrea Snail

here are some picture of the coral hope they help

Attached Files:

11. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Doesn't look like a carnation (thankfully). Looks like a leather coral that is not extended. I stand by what I said before - just give it some time.

12. robwerden

robwerden Feather Duster

What are your levels at? PH specifically