Black Powder

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by GraviT, Oct 14, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

I picked up a bottle of Mark Weiss' Black Powder on clearance at the LFS this afternoon after rave reviews from the staff. Has anybody used the stuff?

[​IMG]

I started dosing it tonight and found that most of it got sucked into the overflow and down into the sump! May try mixing it with water tomorrow, any advice?

2. Click Here!

3. GraviT

Does anybody use any of Mark Weiss' products? The guy seems like he knows his stuff.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Hate to tell you this but most reefers consider Marc Weiss products to be snake oil. That being said, I think that the Black Powder is the only product that he makes that has some "merit". I have never used it though :)

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

What is it designed to do?

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

From a website that sells it:

IT WILL BLOW YOU AWAY! FOR ADVANCED HOBBYISTS AND PROFESSIONAL APPLICATIONS TO MAXIMIZE GROWTH AND COLOR IN ANEMONES, TREE CORALS, XENIA, SEA SQUIRTS, CUCUMBERS, SEA APPLES, ZOOANTHIDS, LARGE AND SMALL POLYP STONY CORALS, GONIOPORA, SINULARIA, CARNATIONS, EUPHYLLIA, MONASTREA, MILLEPORA, MANY FILTER FEEDERS AND CRYPTIC ORGANISMS!
    ON TARGET, DIRECT PIGMENT PRIMING AND GROWTH ENHANCEMENT!
    NO PLANKTON, NO WASTE! POWDER IS ALMOST TOTALLY ABSORBED AND UTILIZED BY YOUR REEF LIFE WITHOUT UNDIGESTED PARTICLES BEING LEFTOVER TO POLLUTE!

Can't seem to find any information about what's in it though...except for this little tidbit....and I still don't know what's in it :)

"Unlike his previous products that depended on enzymes and primarily vegetable matter, this product in part is fractionated from animal sources resulting in a bio-available electrically charged amino acid complex. What's quite interesting and different from other snow-like plankton products is that BlackPowder™ doesn't contain plankton or fish oils. It contains only what is known to be rapidly utilized and digested."

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Holy smokes, how have we survived without it? JK

Actually, depending on cost, may be comparable in value to the liquid plankton I use for my clams, mushrooms, and polyps.

Thanks for the scoop AC!

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=CoralHealth;num=1097813186;start=0#5 date=10/18/04 at 14:57:11]Holy smokes, how have we survived without it?  JK![/quote]

[smiley=laugh3.gif]

It slices, it dices, it mashes and juliennes! :)

Like I said earlier, that is one of the very few products that he provides that may actually do something

10. GraviT

Hehe, I'll have to wait and see! I got the 4 oz bag for like $11, so not a big waste if it isn't the shiznit. My dosage is about 3/8 tsp so it should last a while. I'll keep everyone posted!

11. GraviT

Not sure if this is related to the BlackPowder use or not, but I am in the midst of another cyano outbreak...I hate this crud! It's starting to cover my new frags and my fungia plate...darnit! :huh:

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I've read that exact thing from others using this product. :-/

If I were to use it at all, I would use very small amounts and just spot feed.