UH-OH blue acro bleached

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by hottielover14, Jan 10, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

Just in the last week i have bought 2 acros. A purple and blue one. There about 4" tall. The purple one is doing fine but the blue one has bleached. I saw it yesterday releasing all of its blue symbiatic algae. See, on Sat. my tank got colder than normal. It got to about 70 degrees and usually its at about 74. So i guess from the stress it bleached but not the purple one thank, god. What should i do? Will it recover, if so how long? The same thing happened to my xenia just about 2 weeks ago. The temp went down to 69 during the night and when i woke up it was whiter than normal. It recovered in about 2 weeks. I'm worried about my blue acro. It's so beautiful.

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Sounds like it may have RTNed (Rapid tissue neucrosis) if that is what happened unfortunately it's a goner.

I have had this happen due to high temp so I'm sure it could happen if the temp was too low.
    I would try to stabilize your temp to prevent this in the future. Perhaps another heater
    Sorry about your loss
    J

4. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Yea I would agree with jason, your tank seems a little cool anyway at 74, any reason for having like that??

Mike

5. hottielover14

what do u mean 74 is low.

6. hottielover14

how do u know it's not just bleached.

7. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=ASAP;num=1105395334;start=0#0 date=01/10/05 at 17:15:34]It got to about 70 degrees and usually its at about 74. to 69 during the night and when i woke up it was whiter than normal. It recovered in about 2 weeks.[/quote]
    74 is a bit low....but if it is consistant within a degree or two you should be ok.....70 is just about subtropical. Where you live get pretty cold at night and would bet it dips down real low in the wee hours befor the heater kicks in...I would upgrade the heating system especially with expensive acr's in the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=ASAP;num=1105395334;start=0#4 date=01/10/05 at 18:02:49]how do u know it's not just bleached. [/quote]

I think what you were seeing was the RTN were it actually releases the tissue, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't pull it just yet. Cross my fingers it's OK

J

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=ASAP;num=1105395334;start=0#4 date=01/10/05 at 18:02:49]how do u know it's not just bleached. [/quote]
    If the coral is "white" but the coral's tissue and polyps are still there, then it probably did just bleach. If the coral has no flesh or polyps left on it, it probably died of rtn. Hope that's not the case!

11. hottielover14

i don't see any polyps open or anything just bumps where they should be. What causes RTN? They should be under warrenty still from liveaquaria.com. Could the temp flucuations be the cause. During the day the temp is about 78 but at night it drops about 4 degrees. I really need to get another heater.

12. hottielover14

does anybody know what causes RTN? could temp flucuations or not acclimating to light cause it.