hammer coral

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by billrwilson, Dec 13, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

i had just bought a large hammer coral on nov 25 and in the past 3 days it started to turn slimy and start to disinicrate on one end. i looked through some of my books and it looks like brown jelly infection. what i then did is cut the thing in half and discarded the bad part. that was 2 days ago and it looks alive but i dont think it will make it. i probably did everything wrong but my question is, is brown jelly something that will spread through my tank? so far in the past 1 1/2 years of my setup i lost 1 colt coral(dont know why) 1 yellow tank(dont know why) and now the hammer. this is what i have thats doing great even multiplying- 1 leather coral 1 bubble coral lots of shrooms that are spreading 1 brain coral 1 cup coral even my digitada and poritis are growing fast. here are some pics.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

more pics

more pics

Attached Files:

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Was that a branching hammer or no? If it isn't the branching type, did you cut right through the flesh of the coral when you cut it in half?

5. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

not a branching and yes i did cut through the flesh

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

In that case, chances are that the coral will not survive. When "fragging" non-branching hammers, bubble corals and the like, you're only supposed to cut through the skeleton and place the coral back into the tank and let the flesh separate itself. You might get lucky though but the cutting along with the brown jelly might work against you at this point. Try giving the coral an iodine dip and hopefully, it might help. As for the brown jelly disease spreading, the most you can do is keep a close eye on your other corals and if they show signs of the disease, give them an iodine dip.

7. Trickman2

Trickman2 Bristle Worm

You should try a iodine dip and it may surprise you how resilant these things can be. Hopefully one of the frags will survive

8. Click Here!

9. billy31422

billy31422 Feather Duster

that sucks. good luck