Think my Maxima is dead

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Ballgame, Apr 13, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Looks about dead. The mantle is mostly inside and shriveled up inside. The intake hole is huge and sucked deep down inside shell. This sucks!!!
    No idea how this happened. Only difference I have in my tank is I'm letting algea grow on back glass. I made a thread for that. I asked how to do people clean the back glass and answers were not to so it turns into coraline.

Ugh having clams is the best. I hate this.

Now right next to it is my Derasa clam which is very healthy and looks good. Should I remove the maxima? When I put my hand near it it barely moved. But it did move a tad. Clearly in trouble.

Hard to get clear pics with my iPhone.

Ugh any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

It's dead. Ugh. No idea why. Has this happened to you guys?

Tested water

Temp 79
    Sp gravity 1.025
    PH 8.2
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrates 10

4. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Shell keeps opening and closing. But inside mantle intake is huge. What's wrong with it? I can see right inside
    PMD?

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Check it for pyramidal snails.What other livestock do you have?

1 person likes this.
  6. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Ok went to LFS. They are super helpful. Natural Pets formerly known as Nemo Aquadic Reef.
    All my water levels are good. Took a sample to check calcium. Based it just died (is dying) for no other reason that things die for no reason. I partly believe that.
    It's alive but barely. It's the intake opening. It's huge and looks weird. Serious doubt anything in my tank did this. None of my fish ever go near them.
    So I'm screwed. I really hope it gets better but know it won't.

7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Bummer ballgame. Sorry to hear it.

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Sorry to hear. Clams are very beautiful to look at but are also very touchy and can go quickly. I just lost a clam I had for a year and a half in 2 days flat. No rhyme or reason. The more mature a tank is the better you'll be to house a clam. Lighting, dosing and params are a necessity. Clams are a gamble at times but I couldn't have a tank without one.

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Sorry to hear about your clam. :cry:

Sounds like your chocolate chip star may have grazed on it. Won't be the first time I've heard of that happening. They are known predators of clams, sponges, tube worms, soft corals, and other species of sea stars.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

+1 Just because you don't witness something does not mean it hasn't occurred.:(

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Clams are hardy up until the day they close and shrivel up for no reason.

I know you did not purchase these clams but for future reference try and get clams at least 2 inches in size. The bigger the clam the better.

And yes if you have a chocolate star fish and you want to keep clams one or the other needs to go.

There is a learning curve with clams, just like coral or other inverts. Everyone that has kept clams has killed on or two or more. Do not be too disappointed.