Sand on Clam...Clam PICS

Discussion in 'Clams' started by brannock_16, Nov 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brannock_16

brannock_16 Ritteri Anemone

I just got a Derasa Clam and it is sitting on the sand bed. As I was looking at the clam today, I noticed that on the inside of the clam, it had some particles of sand. Should I remove these particles from inside the clam or let the clam do it itself?

On a side note, I am new to clams. This is my first. It is under T5 lighting on a 120 Gallon tank. The light fixture is a 48 in Current Nova Extreme Pro. So far, the clam is opening regularly, and is responsive to the light (or lack there of when it is off), and is also responsive to loud movements. It is not gaping or anything like that. Here are some pics.

Notice the sand in the clam on the first pic. Sorry about the sideways pic on the second.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. surfrgirl61187

surfrgirl61187 Skunk Shrimp

Your lighting should be fine.. As for the sand.. I think it is okay.. but Im not 100% positive.. Lets see what others think.. Im curious too.. :)
    Very nice clam by the way!

4. brannock_16

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

How many bulbs on the fixture? Young clams don't entirely rely on light along, they also require supplemental filter feeder food, but as they get larger, they eventually depend nearly entirely on light. Depending on the fixture, you may encounter problems later on, but you may also be fine. The problem with the Derasa is that it prefers the sand, so you may not be able to move it higher.

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I wouldn't worry about the sand. They live in the sand bed in the ocean and get sand kicked onto them constantly just like most corals.

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

the sand is not a problem. Derasa clams are the least Light dependent So I would agree you should be OK.

J

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

cool clam! I agree with the others..will be fine.

How big is the clam? If it is under 2 inches then you must feed live phyto. I dose phyto in general simply because I have a lot of filter feeders and clams.

10. brannock_16

It is a 6 bulb model. It currently has the factory bulbs because I am looking for a recommendation for bulbs...I like a bluer look for the tank. I also need to find a place that sells bulbs that would fit in this model.

I had been looking for a Derasa for quite some time, because I know I can't have a Crocea due to lack of light, and didn't want to pay $50 for shipping, and finally the LFS got one in, so i bought it.

11. brannock_16

It is about 2.5-3 inches long. Any recommendations of food brands?

12. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

My maxima will get some sand on it from time to time when I clean the glass. Itwill rapidly close its valves to blow it off.