quick easy clam QT and acclimation

Discussion in 'Clams' started by chrisANDbarb, Feb 5, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

Ok! i broke down and bought 2 clams Saturday. the first clams we've gotten in a year or so, so i had to set up the QT.

a QT can be as simple as you like or complex. i like simple. heres what i set up.

its just 2- 20gal tanks in a storage room in the basement. i used a pump from my RO container, spare heater, and took about 25gal out of our main system and 5 chunks of live rock i had sitting in the sump. done in all of 25min.

[​IMG]

you can use a 10 gal tank if you like, with a simple foam filter(when not in use keep the foam in your sump) or a few chunks of LR and an air stone. you will be surprised how much water movement you get with just an air stone.

2. Click Here!

3. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

i set everything up 24hours ahead but if your using water from your tank and whatever you use for biological filtrating is already established you can use it right away.

9:10am there's a knock at the door

[​IMG]

after the bomb sniff is done i feel safe to open the box

[​IMG]

reputable vendors will include recommended acclimation instructions

[​IMG]

4. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

as usual the packing was great. foam box, heat pack and extra thick double bags.

[​IMG]

i usually take the extra bag(s) off so there is just one left. then place in the tank to match the temp. let it sit for 20-30 min. don't turn your lights on, the clams have been in complete darkness for 12 or 14 hours and you don't want to shock them, also intense lights will heat the water in the bag faster then the rest of the tank

[​IMG]

while your waiting test the SG of the shipping water so you know how far off from your tank water it is and how much adjusting you need to do. my test showed 1.026, that what i keep my tank at so i was good, but you still need to slowly add water to get other parameters matched. the PH in the bag will be low, the clams been that small bag pulling O2 out and giving off CO2. you could test these things if you like but i dont bother, i just assume they are different then my tank.

next after the temp has matched, add about a 1/4 cup of water from the tank, wait 10 or 15min and do it again. do this untill you at least double the volume of water in the bag.

5. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

now test the SG in the bag to see if its the same as your tank. if so its time to put it in the tank.

remove the clam from the bag and give it a quick inspection. if you find a snail or something that can be QUICKLY removed do it. but the clam has been through enough stress already so if whatever cant be quickly removed just put the clam in the QT and deal with it later.

i found this

[​IMG]

i dont know what it is but it would have taken some scrubbing to remove, ill deal with that later after the clams have settled in. that's why you should QT everything wet you get.

6. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

ok so the clams are in the tank now. you don't want to turn the lights on right away. give them a few hours.

while i was waiting i took a 150w MH off my frag tank and put it over the QT. any decent marine quality light should work but i thing its best to use something close to what you will be keeping them under.

[​IMG]

i also put a piece of acrylic over the tank that i dipped in the sump so it gets covered with salt to help shade the clams from the light. i could have used the dirty screen on my front door also:)

[​IMG]

now i know these clams were under 250w MH before i got them but its still a good idea to acclimate them to new lighting.

im going to keep the lights off for 4 or 5 hours then give them about 6 hours of light today, then over the next few days slowly increase the light up to about 9 hours

[​IMG]

[​IMG]