can clams be kept under leds?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by rc_mcwaters3, Jun 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I was looking at clams and wanted to know if there was any way that they could be kept under leds? and if so what types.

I have never owned a clam before but they are beautiful and I would like to have one but only if it can grow healthy and happy.

TYIA ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Ruminus

Ruminus Astrea Snail

With a really cool 8x4x3 acrylic tank as a box spring... What? Oh, LEDs, not beds. Sorry, that's what I get reading posts at 4 am. Anyway, no idea on the lighting, but I would assume if the PAR and wavelength was right, it should work. And now, I must go contact my acrylic supplier to see if they can fab up my new box spring. LOL Edit - It was a silly thought, but it got me curious, so I used the handy dandy volume calculator. That would be a 717 gallon tank. MUST DO IT!!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  4. rc_mcwaters3

LOL I have been up all night working so I get It ;D

5. haloist

haloist Skunk Shrimp

I have mine under LEDs and it seems to be doing pretty well! Mine's a baby Maxima clam that opens up all the way everyday! lol :)

6. rc_mcwaters3

here come the Q&A's LOL

how deep is the clam?

how far are the lights away frow the tank?

what type of leds are you using?

any segustions for keeping one under leds?

7. haloist

haloist Skunk Shrimp

Maxima Clams typically like to attach themselves onto rocks, so you'd want to place them on a rock first. Position-wise, I heard the closer to the light, the better.

Well, since mine is a pico tank, I placed mine on the sand because it's not too far away from the light, maybe like two feet away from the lights.

I'm using the Ecoxotic Ecopico 12K LEDs. They're known for their lighting, you should check them out!

As for suggestions, I heard you always want to get big clams, not small ones like mine because they're a lot harder to maintain. Squamosa clams tend to be pretty hardy and Maxima clams are slightly less hardy, but still pretty hardy if you have a well established tank.

In general, if you have a big tank, you want to place them high up, close to the lights, since they're primarily photosynthetic (occasionally filter feeds). You also want to be careful of tankmates that may eat the clam! And, remember to get clams that are full grown!

I'd also do some more research before getting one. If you do get one, post a pic, I wanna seee! :D

Good Luck!

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I have a maxima at the bottom of my tank (24" deep). I'm using 3W CREEs (DIY). He's been there for over 6 months and seems to be doing fine, besides bleaching on me :p I can't say if that was due to too much light or some other environmental condition, but there was no obvious event to induce it.

So yes, the right kind of LEDs are plenty for any type of clam.

10. rc_mcwaters3

good thats what I was hopeing to here ;D

some more opinions or experences would be nice to LOL

11. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

Im not sure if that lighting will support maxima clam
    Ecopico Desktop Aquarium - Eco Pico Aquarium

It does not tell the wattage but seeing the $22 dollar price tag, $50 dollar stunner is 6 watt, so estimate maybe 3 watt this is.

In my opinion anyway I think you will need more than one, from somewhere on forum, I heard clams opening fully extent means they are not getting enough light. Anyway good luck keeping it in pico tank

12. nuisance

nuisance Astrea Snail

I got a crocea clam now for 5 months, about 12 inches away from 4 x T5 bulbs and it's doing just fine (have been placed on the live rock).