Sony DSC-H20/B Cyber-shot® 10.1 Megapixel Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Aquarium Photography' started by kss2801, Feb 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

2. Click Here!

3. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

I've been doing film photography since 1985 and have only ever owned film cameras (35mm and medium format). I only ever had relatively cheap digitals for quick pics.

Last August my wife and I were getting ready for a trip to Costa Rica and I didn't want to lug along all my SLR stuff. So we ended up buying the Sony Cybershot HX1. I have to say that I am extremely impressed with the quality

I believe it is very similar to the H20 with the main exceptions that it can shoot 1080p video and has a 20x zoom vs. 10x. I think there are other feature differences, but I consider those niceties. Picture quality is paramount and in this regard this class of Sony cameras is excellent. Both cameras have a Carl Zeiss lens and the lens makes all the difference.

Below are some pictures I took with my HX1 - both in Costa Rica and tank pics. I think you'd get similar quality out of the H20. I've also included one of the panoramas I took with the HX1. Now this is a cool feature. Not sure if the H20 has this or not.

Edit/Notes:
    - The first lizard below was taken in dark conditions under a rain forest canopy at almost full zoom with a flash. The clarity under those conditions is amazing.

- The panorama is a really cool feature and easy to use. The results are pretty darned good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  4. kss2801

those shots look awesome man. thanks for your response.if the quality I can get from the h20b is similar to that it would be great. the price is about half of the hx1 though, so should i really expect similar quality? 720 p video and 10x zoom should definitely be good enough though, so if those are the only differences then great. Are the lens the same or just similar? I don't really understand camera terms so i didn't really know how to compare the lens.

5. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

I don't think the lens is the same, but they are both Carl Zeiss lenses and because of that you will get good quality. As you mention, it's half the price. I paid the extra because I wanted the 20x and 1080p.

1 person likes this.
  6. kss2801

I think I'm going to buy this camera. It's seems to be what I'm looking for. thank you very much for your help. k+

7. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I just did a quick glance at the camera and it looks very good. I'm a DSLR type of guy but from the quick specs, it looks like a good buy. I have a sony camera and love it, very good build. It has a Zeiss lens which is top of the line. I think you will be very pleased with it.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. kss2801

Thanks for the input. I was initially thinking of going with a DSLR but i could not justify spending that kind of money on a camera that I would not use that often. If I was really in to photography I would definitely go with a DSLR, maybe I will eventually but for now this camera seems to suit me perfectly.

10. kss2801

Some pics with the new camera. just with the auto mode without a tripod. I love this camera. It is exactly what i wanted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Very beautiful pics. The last two are my favorites.

12. kss2801

Thanks. Those are my mom's orchids, I'm sure she will like to hear that.