The Peace Reef Project

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Looking at the circular formation of his aquaculture site in Florida, Peter Wolfson had a vision. With a little effort and help from others, he could add more lime rock to the circle and create a peace sign. Thus, the Peace Reef Project began. Sitting in just 20 feet of water, approximately 2.5 miles southeast of Islamorada, Florida, the 200 foot wide peace sign could be seen from a plane. Peter hopes that Peace Reef will raise awareness of aquaculturing and responsible marine management by creating a living coral underwater peace sign that becomes a tourist attraction. Check out Peace Reef's Kickstarter campaign for more details - and to give Peace a chance.

[​IMG]
    The location of the Peace Reef

"This Project will also help serve to remind people that coral reefs are delicate living ecosystems and are in extreme peril and need our help to protect and rebuild them. We are also creating the world's only peace sign reef as a piece of living art for the world to see and enjoy. It will be promoted and seen through aerial and underwater photos, elaborate graphic designs, videos and will even be easily visible from Google Earth. The site will also be available for the public to snorkel and scuba dive."

Kickstarter Video:
    The Peace Reef Project - Aquaculture Art

Kickstarter Homepage:
    The Peace Reef Project - Aquaculture Art by Peter Wolfson — Kickstarter

Web site and blog:
    Welcome to the Peace Reef Project!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I love diving in the Keys. I want to dive this in 50 years.

4. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

This is a really cool idea! I loved snorkeling in Islamorada. Once I get certified, I'd love to dive there.

5. paul.brandon83

paul.brandon83 Plankton

Looks like I need to start working on my dive certifications!

6. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

Not a big fan of this how he blames the aquarium industry for the downgrade in reefs

7. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Just curious, do you have a link to where he said that? He has the wrong idea about that, but he makes some gorgeous sculptures, nonetheless.

8. Click Here!

9. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam