Which Reef Book Do I Buy?

Discussion in 'Books & Magazines' started by coral reefer, Jan 28, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I have the book "Aquarium Corals" by Eric Borneman, which is a very good book, I might add. The question is does anyone have "The Reef Aquarium" I believe there are 4 volumes by Delbeek and Sprung, or "Corals Of The World"(3vol.set) by J.E.N Veron, or "Reef Guides to:Asia Pacific-Indo Pacific and Indian Ocean Reef. These books are by Helmut Debelius, Harry Erhardt and Daniel Knop. I need to get some feedback on these books. Also I want to find out if the book I have by Eric Borneman is sufficient as far as Corals, Reefs, photography and education is concerned? Or should I purchase one of these books, or possibly, there may be another book not listed that someone thinks may be comporable if not better. These books are $50.00 to $150.00 range so they are not cheap!!!!!!
    :confused:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Navarchus

Navarchus Plankton

I have the The Reef Aquarium vol. 2 it is very good and has helped me with my reef tank. I have Just ordered vol. 1. I fund out you can't have the one with out the other.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

Books

I just picked up both the Reef Aquarium books and they are a great set. I got vol. 2 from Amazon at a pretty good discount but found Vol 1 at a book store here in Dayton called Half price books for $7 in perfect condition. I'm not sure if they are a chain store or not. I know I've seen Vol 3 on ebay for about $64 but don't know anything about it.

I also have a book called Pocket Guide to Marine Fishes that I have dog eared to death its been so helpful. I just saw at my lfs that there is are 2 companion books for Reef and inverts that I want to get. They are by Scott W. Michael. I'll let you know when I do buy them.

Hope that helps.

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Thanks all!!!Alot of good books out there, it is just that they are so expensive!!!!!!!

6. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

once in awhile they pop up on eBay

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I own the Corals of the World series and they're great for identifying corals. If I'm not mistaken, our club owns a lot of the books mentioned and more so if you want to check them out before you buy, sign them out at the next meeting :)

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Thanks AMCARRIG, that's right we have that option available to us!!!!!!!

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yes indeed we do :)

One of these days, I might actually meet you at one of these meetings aye? :)

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hey neighbor!!!
    I'm am looking forward to meeting you!!!!!I have regretted not introducing myself to you at the Puppy center... My daughter and I have only been to one meeting unfortunately due scheduling conflicts.

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I haven't been to too many meetings myself but that's because it has been a busy summer. Next time I plan to attend, I'll drop you a line to find out if you'll be there :)