ad-button
  1. Old Comment

Sumps

Nice and easy to follow but I do have a question about the water level. this system looks very "touchy" as far as water level applies; would this require an auto top off design or am I missing something? The reason I say this is because with dual buble traps you really inhibit the amount of water your sumo can handle before it overflows when the powers off.
  2. Old Comment

Automatic Top-Off Notes

Nice write up, Geek. FWIW, since implementing a fan above my sump, I've changed my soleniod programming to come on 3x/day, for about 15 min's per session. I'd program it at 5 min's each, but I'm using an older style analog timer to run my soleniod, because the solenoid is best placed before the RO/DI unit, and my RO/DI is in my laundry room. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to control the solenoid with my Apex.
  3. Old Comment

Specific Gravity Notes

Very cool info. You'll have to keep in mind that the websites selling livestock will give basically the same info for any coral, fish and invert. This is to just cover all the bases. Many that run in the 1.026 range due so for algae control and because their specific livestock are comfortable with the salinity.
  4. Old Comment
  5. Old Comment

Specific Gravity Notes

Great blog entry
    Posted 01-26-2010 at 06:28 PM by Jason McKenzie Jason McKenzie is offline
  6. Old Comment
  7. Old Comment

Specific Gravity Notes

Additional comments provided by Screwtape

Using 2 part calcium/alkalinity supplements will slowly raise SG over time from the byproducts (sodium and chloride ions) of the chemicals added. I don't think most people notice this if you do enough water changes but it's something to watch for, especially if you have a heavily stocked tank.

Also a drop in salinity could be from a slow leak from the tank or plumbing. You would not notice any levels changing, just possibly a puddle, but you may not even see a puddle as it may be evaporating. Excess salt creep around plumbing joints/bulkheads etc may be a good indicator though.

Also keep an eye on your calibration solution for the refractometer. Over time it can evaporate a little bit if you're not careful to reseal it immediately after use, or if you somehow contaminate it slowly over time with a dropper or whatever.
Join 3reef Aquarium Forums