ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Giant Squid

Skin: Classic
GuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery
Default yellow tail aggression towards two ocellaris clowns

I cycled my tank using a yellow tail damsel, I now have just added two ocellaris clown fish. I have just put them in about a half hour ago and after 5 min. I saw the yellow tail being aggressive towards the two clowns. He didn't bite them but did dart at them. I have turned the light outs and only have the moon lights on now and the two clowns seem to be better right now. The damsel is off to his sleeping place under the hob filter. My question is from your experience, will the aggression lessen over the next couple of days or will it not let up? If it won't let up, what are any tricks to catching the yellow tail, he is really fast and quick? I would rather trade him in then the two clowns. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
GuitarMan89 is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Bubble Tip Anemone

Skin: Mint
wareagle35031 has a reputation beyond reputewareagle35031 has a reputation beyond reputewareagle35031 has a reputation beyond reputewareagle35031 has a reputation beyond reputewareagle35031 has a reputation beyond reputewareagle35031 has a reputation beyond reputewareagle35031 has a reputation beyond reputewareagle35031 has a reputation beyond reputewareagle35031 has a reputation beyond reputewareagle35031 has a reputation beyond reputewareagle35031 has a reputation beyond repute

contributor 

gallery

ohh yeah those fish are bast###s, mean fish. I would get him out or add fish at night or something.
wareagle35031 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
Kole Tang

gazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

I would add something that will eat the little fishy! oh wait that wont work because the clowns are small too!

Seriously, he will be that way with most anything you add, so if your going to keep him than get used to it. If you can remove him from the tank without to much trouble the do it.

He might give it up but chances are he wont. can you rearrange it so he cant sleep in his usual place or change the tank around enough to make it look unfamiliar to it? That might upset him enough where he will leave them alone. you can try and use a fish trap, there are plans here on 3reef and elsewhere..
gazog is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Giant Squid

GuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarMan89 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

thanks for you responses, I have removed him, it actually wasn't as hard as i thought it would be. I turned the lights out and he went to his usual sleeping place, i put the net behind him and coaxed him into it, he is now in the quarantine tank. I think I may have to return him to the lfs for something else. I am sad that it may have to come to this, i really liked him and had hoped that he wouldn't be aggressive, but I like the clowns more. lesson learned.
GuitarMan89 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
Astrea Snail

ImprovMaster is moving on up!

gallery

yea im having the same problem.
ImprovMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-13-2008, 05:41 AM   #6
3reef Moderator

amcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

My yellow tail darts at fish too but it's never physically attacked them. That's not to say that yours wouldn't have eventually but I've never had aggression issues with yellow tailed damsels besides an ocassional chasing away from its territory.
amcarrig is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-13-2008, 05:59 AM   #7
Kole Tang

gazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcarrig View Post
My yellow tail darts at fish too but it's never physically attacked them. That's not to say that yours wouldn't have eventually but I've never had aggression issues with yellow tailed damsels besides an occasional chasing away from its territory.
I have one in my 20 long along with a pair of ocellaris clowns and a small firefish. He has been in there since I set up the tank and I have no issues either. He is a real good bluffer, gets all puffy and stuff but has never physically (at least that I know) attacked anyone.

The black domino in my 10G another story entirely! he attacks even the feather caulerpa (Caulerpa sertularioides) thats is in that tank if he doesn't like the looks of it. I have come home to piles find of it floating in the corners of the tank, like he mowed the lawn, LOL. I have even seen him go after the emerald crab that I have in that tank and he is huge, at least compared to the damsel right now. But my wife wanted him so I bought it.
gazog is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-13-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
Panda Puffer

phoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond reputephoenixhieghts has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMan89 View Post
thanks for you responses, I have removed him, it actually wasn't as hard as i thought it would be. I turned the lights out and he went to his usual sleeping place, i put the net behind him and coaxed him into it, he is now in the quarantine tank. I think I may have to return him to the lfs for something else. I am sad that it may have to come to this, i really liked him and had hoped that he wouldn't be aggressive, but I like the clowns more. lesson learned.
No need - keep him in the qt for a week then when you add him back to the main display he'll be a ***** cat
phoenixhieghts is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-13-2008, 07:13 AM   #9
Pajama Cardinal

BaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
3link 
gallery

Good example as to why I don't and wouldn't used Damsels or any other fish for cycling a tank...SInce they are the first fish, they would rule the tank. I wouldn't even risk putting him back in, once he is use to the tank he will more then likely start to play bully in the tank. Must my 2 cents...
BaxterS80 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-13-2008, 09:58 AM   #10
Spaghetti Worm

jcdillin will become famous soon enoughjcdillin will become famous soon enoughjcdillin will become famous soon enough

3reefer 
3link 
gallery

I had the same problem with my domino I took him out of the tank for 2 weeks put him back and now everyone bosses him around. My coral beauty loves to kick his butt back in line whenever he even starts to look aggressive.
jcdillin is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!