Star Fish Falling Apart!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mastamind360, Mar 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mastamind360

mastamind360 Astrea Snail

Hello all,

I purchased a Fromia monilis starfish today. I got it home, acclimated it slowly and went out to help a friend move. I got home and the 5 tips of its arms have fallen off. He is currently climbing on the glass of my tank, but I am very confused and distraught about this. My water perams are perfect as I OCD check them daily. My temp holds steady at 79.4. The only things in the tank with it are a hippo tang thats about the size of a nickle and a cinnimon clown which is a little smaller than a quarter. I have a cleaner shrimp, coral banded shrimp, 2 feather dusters, and a couple snails in there as well w my live rock...

I dont understand what the problem could be?!?!?

Any suggestions as to what the problem could be...

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

I am no starfish expert, but I would be VERY careful with it. Starfish are really toxic when they die off. Make sure you remove the dead tissue ASAP. I have heard of compete tank wipe out from dead starfish. (Much like an anemone gets when it dies)

4. rogerstammy

rogerstammy Peppermint Shrimp

I had a red starfish this last week. I bought it acclimated slowly, everything perfect. I should have researched before I bought. (note to self do not impulse buy) These things are very sensitive and should only be put in well established older tanks. They stress easy and when they stress their legs fall off. No guarantees they will live either. It happens fast too!!! When this happened I took it to the pet store and got a replacement. Same thing happened to the replacement. I'm baffled as well since all was well with my tank. I just have a newer tank and little experience with these so I am assuming that is why.

5. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

How long did you acclimate for? You should have done about 3-4 hours and they will say to drip acclimate in a bucket. I have had success floating the bag for the 20 mins then adding 1/4 cup of your tank water every 5-10 mins for 3-5 hours then without exposing him to any air get him in the water even if a little of the bag water gets in thats ok. This is your best chance for success for Fromia and Linkia. My acclimation method does not allow and temp fluctuation.

6. mastamind360

i did it for 3 hours. and i did it with the bag in the tank as well. similar to what you did. it seems to be better today. its all over the walls of the tank and the ends of its legs seem to be closed now instead of kind open wound looking as they did earlier. how long does it take for a star to nuke yer tank if its on its way out just in case it gets bad again...

1 person likes this.
  7. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

if the starfish's appendages just seem to melt away it is usually due to starvation/malnutrition. So, the starfish was pretty much doomed before you even got it home. The stress of moving it from the pet store and changes in water quality was just a catalyst...you may have done everything perfectly textbook as fa as acclimation procedure and you would have still lost the animal.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

That is true. If your acclimation was done correct then not much more you can do. If it starts falling apart or the guts start coming out just get it out.

10. card shark

card shark Flamingo Tongue

sounds like it started before you bought it,ust make sure your clean up crew is to par ,so it can eat the left overs

1 person likes this.
  11. mastamind360

well it looked really good last night when i went to sleep, got up this morning and when i found it its guts had started to come out so i took it out of the tank and put it into the qt until it dies the rest of the way... i cant bring myself to flush thigns that are still alive even if they are doomed... very sad today :-(

1 person likes this.
  12. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

Dang it! I was really hoping you would be able to pull it off. Super sorry to hear that. :cry: