LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Astrea Snail

Skin: Mint
mastamind360 is moving on up!

gallery
Unhappy Star Fish Falling Apart!!!

Hello all,

I purchased a Fromia monilis starfish today. I got it home, acclimated it slowly and went out to help a friend move. I got home and the 5 tips of its arms have fallen off. He is currently climbing on the glass of my tank, but I am very confused and distraught about this. My water perams are perfect as I OCD check them daily. My temp holds steady at 79.4. The only things in the tank with it are a hippo tang thats about the size of a nickle and a cinnimon clown which is a little smaller than a quarter. I have a cleaner shrimp, coral banded shrimp, 2 feather dusters, and a couple snails in there as well w my live rock...

I dont understand what the problem could be?!?!?

Any suggestions as to what the problem could be...

Thanks
mastamind360 is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 03-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Coral Banded Shrimp

Skin: Classic
Arcain41 is a splendid one to beholdArcain41 is a splendid one to beholdArcain41 is a splendid one to beholdArcain41 is a splendid one to beholdArcain41 is a splendid one to beholdArcain41 is a splendid one to beholdArcain41 is a splendid one to behold

gallery

I am no starfish expert, but I would be VERY careful with it. Starfish are really toxic when they die off. Make sure you remove the dead tissue ASAP. I have heard of compete tank wipe out from dead starfish. (Much like an anemone gets when it dies)
Arcain41 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Coral Banded Shrimp

rogerstammy has much to be proud ofrogerstammy has much to be proud ofrogerstammy has much to be proud ofrogerstammy has much to be proud ofrogerstammy has much to be proud ofrogerstammy has much to be proud ofrogerstammy has much to be proud ofrogerstammy has much to be proud ofrogerstammy has much to be proud of

gallery

I had a red starfish this last week. I bought it acclimated slowly, everything perfect. I should have researched before I bought. (note to self do not impulse buy) These things are very sensitive and should only be put in well established older tanks. They stress easy and when they stress their legs fall off. No guarantees they will live either. It happens fast too!!! When this happened I took it to the pet store and got a replacement. Same thing happened to the replacement. I'm baffled as well since all was well with my tank. I just have a newer tank and little experience with these so I am assuming that is why.
rogerstammy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-14-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
Montipora Digitata

adam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

How long did you acclimate for? You should have done about 3-4 hours and they will say to drip acclimate in a bucket. I have had success floating the bag for the 20 mins then adding 1/4 cup of your tank water every 5-10 mins for 3-5 hours then without exposing him to any air get him in the water even if a little of the bag water gets in thats ok. This is your best chance for success for Fromia and Linkia. My acclimation method does not allow and temp fluctuation.
adam is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
Astrea Snail

gallery

i did it for 3 hours. and i did it with the bag in the tank as well. similar to what you did. it seems to be better today. its all over the walls of the tank and the ends of its legs seem to be closed now instead of kind open wound looking as they did earlier. how long does it take for a star to nuke yer tank if its on its way out just in case it gets bad again...
Old 03-15-2009, 07:01 AM   #6
Ritteri Anemone

That Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThat Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThat Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThat Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThat Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThat Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThat Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThat Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThat Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThat Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThat Guy has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

if the starfish's appendages just seem to melt away it is usually due to starvation/malnutrition. So, the starfish was pretty much doomed before you even got it home. The stress of moving it from the pet store and changes in water quality was just a catalyst...you may have done everything perfectly textbook as fa as acclimation procedure and you would have still lost the animal.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-15-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
Montipora Digitata

adam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond reputeadam has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

That is true. If your acclimation was done correct then not much more you can do. If it starts falling apart or the guts start coming out just get it out.
adam is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #8
Flamingo Tongue

card shark has much to be proud ofcard shark has much to be proud ofcard shark has much to be proud ofcard shark has much to be proud ofcard shark has much to be proud ofcard shark has much to be proud ofcard shark has much to be proud ofcard shark has much to be proud ofcard shark has much to be proud of

gallery

sounds like it started before you bought it,ust make sure your clean up crew is to par ,so it can eat the left overs
card shark is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-16-2009, 05:49 AM   #9
Astrea Snail

gallery

well it looked really good last night when i went to sleep, got up this morning and when i found it its guts had started to come out so i took it out of the tank and put it into the qt until it dies the rest of the way... i cant bring myself to flush thigns that are still alive even if they are doomed... very sad today :-(
Old 03-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
Coral Banded Shrimp

Arcain41 is a splendid one to beholdArcain41 is a splendid one to beholdArcain41 is a splendid one to beholdArcain41 is a splendid one to beholdArcain41 is a splendid one to beholdArcain41 is a splendid one to beholdArcain41 is a splendid one to behold

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastamind360 View Post
well it looked really good last night when i went to sleep, got up this morning and when i found it its guts had started to come out so i took it out of the tank and put it into the qt until it dies the rest of the way... i cant bring myself to flush thigns that are still alive even if they are doomed... very sad today :-(
Dang it! I was really hoping you would be able to pull it off. Super sorry to hear that.
Arcain41 is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!

Tags
fromia monilis, star fish, starfish