snails killed my shrimp?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by LukeJustice, Jul 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LukeJustice

LukeJustice Plankton

so my tank just finished the cycle, and i went to LFS today to get my CUC.. i got 5 turbo snails 3 nautilus(the ones that bury themselves?) snails and 1 cleaner shrimp... i put their bags in the tank for 15 minutes then scooped them out w/a net... everyone was seeming like they were happy.. the shrimp was on a picking at a piece of live rock... i watched them for about 45 minutes... i went away, came back and the shrimp was in the snd behind a rock and 2 of the nautilus snails were ontop of the shrimp.. i think they were laying eggs on him cause he's covered in white balls... and he's pretty much dead i think.. question is was it the snails? or was it me? my water should be okay... the snails are running around fine... the fish are fine.... i dont know what to do.. any chance the lfs will take it back?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

haha no a snail killing a shrimp is like a sea turtle killing you on land.

also make sure its the real shrimp not a molt

4. LukeJustice

LukeJustice Plankton

he's definitely dead and covered in some kinda crap...

5. LukeJustice

LukeJustice Plankton

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

dude the snails didn't kill your shrimp, it's just not possible. They will however eat the body of a dead shrimp.

7. JayTropical

JayTropical Purple Spiny Lobster

i agree, if anything it would be the other way around, although i have never seen my shrimp attack a snail.

i would be sure it is not a molt. molts are usually transparent looking, but if you can see all areas of your tank and there is no shrimp in site, it may have died, but due to something other than a snail attack ;).

have you had a big change in salinity? shrimp dont do well with salinity swings.