scooter dragonette dying?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Tavast, Jul 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tavast

Tavast Bristle Worm

Hey all, my scooter blenny (dragonette) looks like he's dying. He looks like his whole body is swollen including face & lips, he's pale & not moving arround much and breathing heavy. He's been in my QT for about two weeks now along with my other fish (who all look fine). The QT is a 20 gal tank with a few small LR to make places to hide so they don't get too stressed, they are in there to do a Hyposalinity treatment for Ich, but the Blenny started acting wierd before I lowered the SG. I think it's the heat. Tank params: amonia 0, Nitrite 0, nitrate 0. About a week to 10 days ago the tank got up to 90 degrees inside for only one day. After that I got an airconditioner hooked up and the tank has not gone over 82 since. About 24 hours after the temp spike the scooter stopped eating as well as other symptoms listed. I did a 5 gal water change and lowered the SG to 1.019 about 48 hrs after the temp spike and he seemed to perk up a little. So the next day I dropped it to 1.017 and he seemed to perk up a little more. after 48 hrs at this SG he was bad again so I didn't lower it any more, and waited. No changes since then, that was about 5 days ago. He showed NO signs of illness before I took him out of the DT, but other fish in the same tank obviously had ich, so I am treating them all. Is there anything I can do to save him? The other fish are showing NO signs of stress or illness since I lowered the SG and the ones that had ich look and act much better. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

What do you feed it?

4. Tavast

Tavast Bristle Worm

Well, my baby is gone :cry: He's been with me since the beginning almost 2 years ago. he was the BEST fish, so personable and very interactive. I really loved that fish.

To answer your question, he was eating bloodworms and actively hunting the copepod population in my tank. Occasionally he would eat a mysis shrimp too. I was adding a few small pellets for my watchman goby since he will really only eat those. But I never saw the scooter eat any of them. His gills were all white as soon as he went, poor little guy.

5. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Sorry for the loss :(

6. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

sorry to hear about your scooter. and yes the heat was probably a large factor in his death, many people dont realize how much excess heat can affect fish.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Sorry to hear that. Quick temperature fluxes aren't good.

8. Click Here!

9. Tavast

Tavast Bristle Worm

thank you Everyone for your condolences. I'm kind of amazed at how hard I'm taking this one.

10. ADJUST

ADJUST Astrea Snail

I had mine for about two years as well, I use to enjoy when he would spread out all his fins and shake them for me. Sorry for your loss.

11. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I'm so sorry for your loss Tavast ((HUGS))