red slime remover

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Stingray, Mar 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

I've just mixed up some water with this product, can anybody tell me do i have to turn filtration and powerheads off also skimmer and maybe do a water change soon after, it does not mention anything like this on the packageing...?

Cheers

2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Leave your powerheads and filters on (take out any carbon, though) but definitely turn off your skimmer. After about 2 or 3 days beware because your skimmer will go ballistic, like breaking it in all over again. Also it is recommended to do a water change a couple days after, too. Although personally I have never done that. But it's always better to be safe than sorry.

4. Stingray

Whoops i turned off all filtration, carbon is in my filter but like i said all filtration has been turned off for 20, so you think it will be alright just to turn them all bak on now and leave the carbon in, i'm limited for time got to be at work in 20 min

5. Stingray

turn skimmer off for how long, i've only just broke it in?

6. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

turn your skimmer off for about 48 hours
    run all yoru powerheads and filters still and i would keep the light to minimum for those 2 days, i did mine for 5 hours a day instead
    after you turn on your skimmer after 48 hours, there will be tiny bubbles everywhere and it will go nuts for a bit but it will be okay after a day or so..
    this thing works like a charm, mine went away and just never came back and now my sand is WHITE like snow :p

1 person likes this.
  7. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Keep in mind that Red Slime Remover is a band-aid product. I used it once and followed the directions given. Removed the carbon and turned off the skimmer and did the 2 treatment cycle. Within one week, the cyano was coming back. I found that it tends to work best if you use a turkey baster and directly squirt the area that is most infected with cyano with the medicated mixture.

8. Click Here!

9. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

I had a bad outbreak of this and searched the forums here and discovered an alternative to medication...
    I increased flow to the affected area(s) and increased my ph to 8.3...it was worth a try... vacuumed the red out..and it has worked thus far....go'n on about 3 weeks of it not re appearing. JMO.
    I believe its best to discover "why" and then address it that way. But the "medicine" is out there....just use extreme caution because it can adversely effect your params.
    Again, JMO. : )
    Good luck
    LG

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yeah.. I increased my Alkalinity to 11-12. Spot blast Cyano with kalkwasser in a turkey baster.. I could tell a big difference within hours but it is still there after one day .. It's in retreat though. I can't increase flow to all the spots.

I ordered some red slime remover just incase ..I hope I don't have to use it.

11. m_hsiao

honestly i was so hesitant on use this product and i tried many other alternatives just not to use it... but after the success my brother had in his 20G with it wiht no problems at all, i coudln't help but use this product as well. it's a very safe and good product IMHO.. i did't like the feeling after i added the dose into the tank for the next 2 days i felt uneasy but in the end, everything was fine.. i did a 20% water change before i turned on my skimmer and everything was good.

12. m_hsiao

use red slime remover! it is good! no i am not sales person!
    i'm a very very careful and hesitant perosn when it comes to medicating and dosing into my reef.. but after the success i had, i would strongly suggest this product to anybody.. my friend was just over and told me how good my tank looked because my sandbed is unbelievable. you want to point 2 powerheads from each side of the tanka the front on a semi 45 degree angle towards your sandbed though to create more flow above it.. so red slime plus extra flow close to sandbed = snowhite sandbed :p