Red Mushroom Stung by Hammer

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by asilefx, Oct 20, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

Yesterday my Red Mushroom was knocked over by a snail into my hammer.

I'm really not sure how long it was sitting on the hammer.

The mushroom has developed some white spots, and it has also shrunk to about 1/5 it's normal size. This is the same mushroom from my side pic.

Is there anything I can do to aid it?

Sucks too because the mushroom closed up for a couple of months and it was finally opening again, and getting quite large.

I've tried the underwater putty, doesn't stick to anything. A lot of my corals are unstable, but I can seem to find anything to do about it. I've tried all the different products to glue rock down, it never works.

2. Click Here!

3. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

using epoxy on shrooms won't work because of their slime. If you want your shroom to attach you need to do it a different way. I recently had a shroom remove itself from a rock so I placed it in a low flow area and placed a mesh lightly over it and used some small rock rubble to hold down the mesh(don't put the rocks on the shroom only on the extending mesh) now I will wait till it attaches to my crushed coral and then I will glue the crushed coral part to a piece of liverock. I didn't have any mesh on hand so I cut the mesh of a fish net and used that, but make sure the mesh is clean and hasn't been used with meds.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Best bet is to place mushroom in a quite low flow spot on the bottom of your tank. Place it on top of a piece of live rock or shell and it will attach itself.
    Now as for the care of your mushroom, do you dose with iodine? If not, I would start as iodine will help in a number of ways, one of which is to act as an astringent/antibacterial and many times will help to bring back coloration from bleaching.

5. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

It's already attched to live rock, just a small piece.

6. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

Yes I do dose iodine.

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

That is good!!! there really isn't anything else that I know to help you and your mushroom. They are very hardy and seem to grow and spread quickly under the right conditions.
    One thing that I noticed is that when you have alot of nutrients in your water, mushrooms tend to shrink in size, because they have plenty of food etc. so as not to have to exert all the energy to increase in size. Whereas after you do a water change, you will notice that the mushrooms will get bigger to try and take in the limited or decreased nutrients from your water. Next time you perform a water change...make a mental note as to how big they are prior to the water change, then look how big they get shortly after your water change.

8. Click Here!

9. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

Will do, thanx!

10. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

Update:

The mushroom is fine, recovered in about 1 week.