Power Outage, Oh S***

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by eggerstout, May 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. eggerstout

eggerstout Skunk Shrimp

I just got out of the shower when I heard lightning strike the lights went off, now worries right the school has a massive backup generator, well it didn't kick in. I tried making it back to my dorm room through the pitch black hallway, no safety lights installed. I get to my room and basically only have the light from my laptop and cell phone. I thought of a massive armageddon unfolding for my fish and coral. Then I remembered I have a 400 watt inverter that I can hook up to my truck battery. I started getting some wrenches together and a rain coat to make it out to my truck. I guide myself down the hallway with the light from my cell phone, no flashlight, (gotta get one of those). I get to the lobby of the building where about 15 people gathered around a candle and a couple of flashlights. The building alarm panel is going nuts. I thought I'd give it a little wait and maybe the power comes back on. I waited about 20 minutes and bam power! I run back up stairs to see if the siphon on my cpr overflow started back up, hooray everything is up and running.

This makes me think that backups won't always work and that there has to be an alternative to an alternative which kind of sucks.

I'm pretty glad power came back on in only 20 minutes, I feel for the people that lose power for days. :)

2. Click Here!

3. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Ya, you got lucky! Glad everything worked out, I need to get going on a backup myself...

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

That's why I recommend mock power outages to make sure flooding won't occur. Besides that, temp. control would be the other concern. The temp. drops so slowly it usually isn't a concern unless you are looking at long outages. The power goes out alot where I live. Boy do I remember my first outage. Glad I was home while it happened. Glad you were around too.