Possible Sick Fish - One dead

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by razorack, Nov 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. razorack

razorack Plankton

Here is my set upon a brand new set up only 3 days old:

100 gal
    30 gal sump w/refuge
    60lbs live rock
    50lbs live sand
    40lbs bas rock
    AquaEuro 135 Skimmer
    T5 HO 150 w/actinics
    6 chromis
    10 hermits

One of my chromis died last night and I have three others that have what look to be scrathces on their foreheads al in the same spot on each one.

The water is not even shoing ammonia yet ph is perfect at 8.0 - 8.2 no nitrites or nitrates and water hardness is about 170.

I have no idea and am kinda freaking out that all the chromis will die and are sick with ich or somting else. I dont see any white spots that look like ich.

any help would be greatly appreacitaed.

razorack

2. Click Here!

3. razorack

razorack Plankton

Ok I just noticed that I have this on base rock which is lace rock that looks like it is totally coverd in a clear slime or algae, it almost looks like a bubble around the whole rock and this is what I thought was the scratches on the fishes head but i think it is this slime.

4. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

your tank is 3 days old...? and you already have all those things...? your cycle just barely started.. and your live rock is definitely not enough for a tank that size.. the bare minimum should be 1pound per gallon.. and if you're doing reef, 2 pounds per gallon..
    leave the dead chromis in there along with all the other ones that are going to most likely die and let it trigger a ammonia cycle.. you shouldn't be putting any fish in there for at least a few weeks IF your tests all show that the water is ready for you to go..

5. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

if this setup is only 3 days old how would it have not gone through a cycle yet?

6. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

it takes 3 days to complete a whole cycle before adding fish to your tank? i want to know what kind of technique you're using

7. razorack

razorack Plankton

Cycle already???????

Ok I am not sure what you mean by tank should have cycled already.

I put this new tank up this past saturday 11/01/2008 I was told by lfs to add the hermit crabs and the chromis to help get the cycle going, but I have not seen any spike in the ammonia yet at all. Actually the water looks really good and is testing out good expect for no Nitrates at all.

Should I add some more hardy fish to get the cycle going and why do I have this clear thick slime all over some of the rocks.

I am worried that the tank has somthing in it with the one fish dying and the others havng this slime on there foreheads.

thanks,
    razorack

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

First off I think the amount of rock is fine. Total of 100lbs will work in a 100G tank.

A tank that is 3 days old will kill fish and your hermit crabs. I would really second guess you ammonia test kit. If it is still reading 0 I would get a new one. The slime on the rocks could be a number of things that have to do with the cycle.

Stop listening to whom ever told you you could put fish and inverts in a 3 day old tank!

J