popeye

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by GuitarMan89, Sep 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Does anyone know what a good way to treat popeye is? I have a yellow tailed damsel who has it in one eye. All the other fish seem to be fine so far. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

5. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Would Maracyn One or Two help?

6. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

maybe a freshwater dip.

7. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

The two most common causes of popeye are mechanical injury and bacterial infection. Rarely you will see a parasite causing the problem. First of all, he needs a high quality environment to help his recovery. Do your param tests and make sure your tank is OK. If you have a QT, then I would place him in that and feed him medicated food (antibacterial). At the very least, this will prevent secondary infection from setting in and causing more damage.

In terms of making medicated food, if it were me, I would explore this site or google search to get a "how to" on preparing medicated food. Personally, I don't know how. I have always used a QT and Melafix on other suspected bacterial infections.

Don't worry about infecting the other fish. Popeye is considered a non-infectious disease.

Also, prepare for the fact that your fish may end up blind in that eye. If the swelling is bad enough, it will choke off the optic nerve and later gator.....no sight in that eye. But plenty of fish have lived with one eye.

Good luck and Peace.......John.

10. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I had a yellow tail damsel with popeye! I couldnt catch him nor would he come out. I panicked thinking all my other fish would get it too, but after 2 weeks it cleared up and he was right as rain again!

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

thanks for the info, will def. take some of the advice

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Just wanted to say that I've been feeding the fish food with some antibiotics in it, just put a drop or two in the frozen food, and my yellow tail damsel is much better, the swelling has gone down and he is acting completely normal, thanks for the advice

1 person likes this.