Peppermint Shrimp attacking Nessarius snail?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by davidkaleko, Sep 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. davidkaleko

davidkaleko Flamingo Tongue

!!

I dropped some food to the bottom of my tank and my two nessarius snails popped up immediately and started feasting. At this point, one of my peppermint shrimps darted out, flipped a snail over, and (what looked to be) pretty violently picked at the bottom of the snail. I watched while he stabbed at the underside of the snail for about 20 seconds until he left.

The snail flipped back over and has been moving around fine for a few minutes now... I hope he isn't injured though.

Is this normal? Perhaps the shrimp was stealing food from the snail? Should I be worried? It looked pretty violent!

Thanks everybody.

2. Click Here!

3. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

i had a peppermint shrimp kill one of my nassarius. i would make sure to give the peppermint extra food. i would usually go with some shrimp or something that would sink to the bottom. then you should be alright.

by the way my shrimp picked on everything till the day he died. my corals, my snails, even my hermits, but i could usually calm him down by making sure it ate well. good luck!

4. davidkaleko

davidkaleko Flamingo Tongue

5. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

yeah. i would guess they would. mine ate everything the little pig. lol but i noticed he really liked meat. then he killed my other peppermint shrimp. that was the last straw. he died in transit to my friends tank.

6. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

peps do love to eat snail if there isnt any easier meal to be had

7. tkeck

tkeck Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

No they are def not reef safe...my zoas agree with me