Nicked silicone

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Emilio84, Sep 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Emilio84

Emilio84 Plankton

So i was using a razor to clean mineral deposits off a used 29gal tank I recently purchased and accidentally nicked the silicone on one of the corners. It wasn't deep and unless you ran your finger across it you couldn't really tell. I filled it up in my shower and let it sit for about an hour to leak test it. No leaks but just to be safe I tabbed a bit of aquarium sealant onto the area where the silicone was nicked. I'd take a picture but even in macro mode you can't see it. Am I ok? Am I overreacting?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

It will probably be ok, especially if you ran a dab of aquarium silicone over the area with your finger. Try the shower leak test overnight, just to be sure.

4. Emilio84

Emilio84 Plankton

I'll do that monday once the sealant has a chance to cure.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

you should be fine, especially if you covered it up with sealant. The silicone on tanks is usually pretty thick

6. Emilio84

Emilio84 Plankton

Yeah... i'm a little paranoid though so I may run out tomorrow and get a new tank which defeats the purpose of going used but $47 now beats the cost of cleanup and replacing livestock.

7. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

Probably not a problem as the actual seal is between the glass pieces and the bead is to protect that bond mainly.
    Be aware that silicone does not properly adhere to silicone. That's why most instructions on the silicone containers specify completely clean surfaces for proper bonding.