Kh/Alk to high?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by AaaRr, Jun 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AaaRr

AaaRr Spaghetti Worm

Okay well I tested all my parameters two days ago and they where decent for the most part.
    ph 8.0 Add Seachem ph 8.3 buffer
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrite 0
    Ammonia 0
    Calcium 320 added to it after checking. Seachem
    Kh/Alkalinity 9.0 Highish...
    Magnesium 1050 Have not added to it yet.

Now they are, a day after adding.
    Magnesium 930
    Calcium 310
    KH/Alk 11.8 HIGH??
    ph 8.0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0
    Ammonia 0

Is my Kh/Alk to high? Should I take urgent action and do a big water change? Please give me recommendations on how to correct this issue thanks. If any questions on what else I have or use please let me know. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

i would say that's fine but just try to keep it stable, i think thats more important. 15 16 would be more on the higher side,

4. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

8-12 is your normal range so 11.8 is perfectly fine so is 9 I would worry more about stabilising it. As for the number its fine.

5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

What he said!!

But your calcium is a little low. You will find that when you raise that your KH will drop.

6. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

A simple liquid calcium will do the trick, unless you would like to go the anhydrous CaCl2 route or something like that....Try to bring levels up or down slowly instead of knee jerk responses, THATs when you get into trouble

7. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I don’t find your Alkalinity high at all. Seawater is 7 DKH, but since our tanks don’t have the dilution capabilities of the ocean in order to handle excess organic acids and carbon dioxide a higher PH of 9 works well. If your DKH were to approach, say 11?, than it would/could begin to prevent corals from absorbing calcium.

Your calcium is a little low, nothing to stress over – mid 200’s would be cause for alarm.

Your Magnesium is low tho and in my opinion require your attention which will in turn help you adjust your calcium up to 425-450 range. Magnesium at 1200 and above is needed to hold calcium in solution – the same if it exceeds 1500, calcium can precipitate. So you really want to be in the range 1200 to 1500. Most people strive for 1450-1500 – your target should be 1450.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. AaaRr

AaaRr Spaghetti Worm

Thanks for all the responses I was aware that the calcium is low and have been taking care of it. The MG is also low and I am also aware but I do not have any booster for that and had to order some should be here today. Thanks for the input crimson found it very informative +1

10. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

PH buffers generally mess with your alkalinity, most people do not recommend buffering for PH. If you keep your alkalinity at a reasonable level and your tank is in a well-ventilated room you should not have PH problems.

Also, just to clarify calcium under 360 will inhibit coral calcification so that's really the line you don't want to go under. Alkalinity really can be anywhere from 7 to 15 or so but going to both extremes of the scale have their own potential problems. I try to aim for 9-10dkh for wiggle room on both sides, high and low.

If you want to really understand all of the chemistry I recommend reading Parts 1, 2, and 3 of the chemistry articles at the top of this page.
    Reefkeeping Online Magazine - Randy Holmes-Farley

11. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I use Epsom Salts that I buy when we grocery shop :)

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I was using 2 part solution (with mag...so guess 3 part!) daily and then doing kalk drips about 3-4x week. I thought I had found the correct ratio but apparently I did not as I went one week without testing (had been doing almost daily testing) and my kH went from 12 to 6! calcium suprisingly stayed stable, and pH went from 8.4 to 7.8.

I have stopped using the 2 part all together now and dosed with daily borax to bring the kH up. On the first day that I dosed the kH dropped even further from 6 to 5. But after a couple days I got my kH 11 and pH back to 8.2. My calcium remained stable. Now that I have it stable, I am just using kalk drip for top off and magnesium supplement 2x week.

All my levels have been very very stable for the last 2 weeks. The only problem I am having is figuring out my evaporation rate. I was doing 1 gallon a night and that was not enough. So this week I added a second gallon container a night (divided the total amt of kalk that I was using into the two containers) and it STILL does not seem to be enough. It is difficult now cause the evaporation is so high...in St. Louis we are having like 300% humidity already!

I am hoping to get a calcium reactor soon so that I will not have to do daily supplements anymore....but cost wise it is restrictive! So I am waiting as my corals take off like they are doing right now I will frag them and sell them to buy a ca reactor.*