i swear if i see another stink bug

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by trapstar991, Feb 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trapstar991

trapstar991 Feather Duster

so i recently had a tank crash ending today just about every fish was killed off other than a missing blenny thats a rider hell never die id be suprised if he did,i keep finding freakin stink bugs in my tank if a fish bit one or the chemical from them was released into my tank could it wipe out the fish my carbons kind of old ish month and a half

tank was battling ich but all signs of parasites were gone completly
    kole tang-no body marks suggesting ich,opened mouth when i found him-oxygen couldent be a possible issue,i have a hang on back fug. so it aerates the water and a oversized skimmer/extra filter
    clownfish-new to tank caused ich starved himself to death
    old clownfish-no body marks again suggesting ich just upside down dead in the morning
    algae blenny-most likely taking a nap in the rocks still

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

so sorry about your tank crash, I would change out your carbon.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Marine ich falls off the fish and spends a stage of it's life cycle in the substrate. The parasite is not gone completely unless you leave the tank without fish for at least 21 days but 60 days is better. The parasite is still living and reproducing in your sand bed you just can not see it.

You may not be dealing with marine ich, but regardless my money is on disease or water quality issues causing stress therefore allowing the fish to succumb to disease that are present and opportunistic.

1 person likes this.
  5. trapstar991

it actually got in from a new fish starving itself and it spread pretty quickly and ichs life cycle is based on temp of the system from what i know in a marine tank it shouldent last more than 3 weeks with fish because of the temp. and when you can visually see "ich" thats the middle to end of its life cycle but maybe im wrong....

6. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Some of that is right on.

The temperature will affect the rate of reproduction and ultimately the life cycle of crypto. However, what you may not be seeing as clearly is that this is ONE life cycle of ONE organism. While one is nearing its lifecycle, countless others are in the dawn of their lifecycle and are just starting, so in a perpetual cycle they will continue as long as there is a host.

This is where Corailline is right on in that one of the well-known surefire ways to handle ich is to go fishless for a few months.

Also, fish do not get ich from starving IME - it's an infection cause by a living parasite - starvation can result from ich however.

It's like saying you get a cold from being outside - while it may be a contributing factor - not the cause IMO.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

As long as you have fish in a tank with the parasite present it will complete it's life cycle, it will just do it faster in a tank with an elevated temperature. And the cycle will repeat it's self. You see ich when it is actively feeding on the fish, it will complete it's life cycle and re-infect a stressed fish regardless of if you can see it.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich - Myths and Facts

8. Click Here!

9. trapstar991

but at the same time when the immune systems weakened from malnourishment your more likely to become sick hence pathogens being allowed to infect the fish and good point about the life cycle,also since ichs a fish only disease i was told 72 hours at 80 degrees is enough to kill off any ich because the parasite has no host

10. dustin0479

dustin0479 Peppermint Shrimp

I have never heard 72 hours. Everything I have ever read stated 28 days from the time it falls from the host.

11. dnyce78

dnyce78 Astrea Snail

I would like to thank the @$$hat who brought stink bugs into New Jersey from Pennsylvania. While they do bring the cats hours of entertainment they are nasty looking things. When we bought our house in New Jersey we found our chimney had an infestation of them. It was nothing a good winter of fires didn't care of but still.

12. trapstar991

once the cyst drops from the fish it has 72 hours to find a new host wether it be the fish again or another tank mate it cannot go dormant so it must find a host to feed on,the full life cycle is 4 to 5 weeks but my theory is that you cant keep producing if theres not a host for the cyst to feed on to burst and regenerate so keeping a tank without fish for 2 weeks i think is sufficient even though im airing on the side of caution because its a entirely new tank
    obviously theres no fish in the tank so cyst that had just burst even if the fish dies still it has 72 hours to find the host at that point everything would die off because of no nutrition its debatable but how i see this is new born parasites at one point or another cannot complete the life cycle without a fish but most people do a 8 week period without fish i think its beyond rediculous to do that and youd kill even beneficial bacteria by keeping the live rock with no food source

Dinospores that have just attached themselves are not visible to the human eye. This organism is an obligate parasite. It cannot live and cycle without a fish host.
    so if the full life cycle this is for velvet^ 5 weeks CANNOT complete the cycle without host and cannot lay dormant waiting for one theres a short time frame so i think 2 weeks is for risk takers but safe also you can never know when velvet is technicly gone or even entering your aquarium its a risk you take