Holes in my hammer coral

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Yuri Kapustin, Nov 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Yuri Kapustin

Yuri Kapustin Coral Banded Shrimp

Ok, just a little freaked out right now.

I just did a 25% water change. After 30 mins, i put in a couple little pieces of a fish flake for my damsel and engineering goby. Some of the little pieces fell onto my hammer coral. I didnt think anything of it, but after a few minutes, i realized that my hammer coral and shrunk very quickly and receeded into its skeleton. After 20 mins or so, it came back out and this is what i saw...
    It has a few holes on some of the hammer tips. The holes are completely open and i can see inside the individual tips. There was a little bit, ( tiny tiny amount) of white slime that came off of it. Around the little holes, the lining of the holes are a brown color. The mouth of the coral looks more open than usual.

WTF just happened?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Yuri Kapustin

4. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

Wow sounds and looks like a chemical burn. I could see salt causing this but have never heard of flake food burning a coral. It should be ok

1 person likes this.
  5. Yuri Kapustin

It was SALT!

I am so stupid! I remember taking my parameters this morning and realized i was a little low, just a little bit in salt, so i brushed some salt creep into the tank. Im an idiot. I also did use some flake food....DAMN
    oh well
    Thanks silverwolf

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Just add salt in your top off water if you need to bring it up next time. The salt creep has low salinty values and VERY low elemental values anyways!

1 person likes this.
  7. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

So brushing salt back into the tank, is a bad thing.. !! If salt lands on a coral it can burn it..
    Glad I read this.. I do it all the time.. I will also be more careful.. Thanks for the info..
    I just got a hammer, and reading all the post on them

Thanks, Larry

8. Click Here!

9. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I almost killed a mushroom from brushing salt creep back in once. It was huge one minute and an hour later we noticed it looked like it was dying, blew it off with turkey baster and it's fine now. I no longer do that with the salt creep!!

10. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Another thing learned

Thanks