Green Pagoda cup coral Question

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by david, Nov 17, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Hi,...
    I haven't posted here in a while but got a good question now.
    I have a pagoda coral and one flat of it got some algea on it bad this was due to a sand bed that needed changing. fixed that and now my tank is looking good again changed out 40#'s of live sand!! should I break off the sickly looking piece i.e. will it spread on the rest of the good looking coral this would be easy to due as there is a place of distance between them
    I just moved look at how much coraline algea I lost during it( white to purple on the back glass!!!!)

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

C'mon guys somebody give me some thoughts.
    I would rather leave it alone but I'm worried that it could spread.
    if that piece dies off will it contaminate the whole?
    Any one know?

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would leave it alone. Increase the flow around it and put it up closer to the light. Flow will eliminate the algae growth and allow it to regrow on the damaged parts

J

5. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Thank you so much for your response Jason!
    The two are about to meet so time will tell I guess. My wife was urging me to break the dead skeleton between them I was mainly worried the break might go the good piece. But now I think it is best to just leave it. I have stopped the algae growth With better flow:) As for the light the ones in the shade of the others look better?
    Not a bad pagoda for free the L.F.S. gave it to me with a bubble tip that was stuck on it bubble tip moved the first day in the tank coral has grown ever since

pick is first day I got this coral

Attached Files:

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Is that the same piece you posted a long time ago and we all said it was dead?

J

7. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I did post that a long time ago! I don't remember any one saying it was dead
    but...
    It's 3 years old now! well maybe 2 1/2
    I love it! that's what I've been fretting about for the last week the underside of the sickly one is colored funny And the healthy one is growing right up to it!:-[
    OH scary
    My tank was going downhill algae all over my sand bed leeching up to the rocks
    !everywhere!
    I just moved ;D bought a home;D
    So when I moved I removed 40LBS. of sand bed and replaced it with new live sand the stuff in a bag not the pricey Drs. fosters Marine depot stuff and it was a miracle the algae just melted off my rocks tank looks great again stuff I thought was gone opened?? Maybe the move helped and I see some brown powdery algae on the sand like What I hope will be a mini cycle. Sorry for the long post
    Just got home from work
    W i n d i n g D o w n