goin the wrong way

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by botie, Apr 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. botie

botie Feather Duster

all right guys i have to be doin something wrong i checked all my perm. tonight and the are goin backwards they are as follow

tuesday tonight (thursday)
    kh 9 kh 7
    cal. 340 cal 300
    mag1140 mag 1000

what am i doin wrong test kit is 2 weeks old so i dont think they are bad

and i lost my black and white clown fish wierd seen him swimming at 2 oclock checked at 5 and skunk cleaner was eaten him he was died i dont get it:cry:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

That sucks, i really dont know what could cause that, but my condolances :-/

4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Sorry for your loss.... Hope things turn around...

5. botie

botie Feather Duster

keepin the protien skimmer on 24/7 i ok right

6. botie

botie Feather Duster

does anybody recammend usin epsom salt

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

That does sound weird, you need to do some small, back to back WC's. somethings not right.

8. Click Here!

9. botie

botie Feather Duster

yea luna but if my amm nitrate and nitrite are at o do you think water change will do any good do you think i should add epsom salt

10. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

If you need magnesium added, it is better to use Craig Bingmans formula as it doesn't upset the ionic balance like just using epsom.
    His recommendation is to use 10 cups of magnesium chloride and 1 cup of epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) and dissolve in 4qts/litres of water.
    Dose in small amounts until you see how it changes the mag levels in your tank.
    Most tanks require a lot of additive to raise the level.
    If you are using Randy Holme's Farley's alk/calcium DIY supplimentation then his magnesium formula is designed to closely maintain ionic balance in the system when using along with the baking soda and calcium chloride.

However, while I don't know why your levels are dropping, I don't believe any of those readings could be the reason for your loss of the clownfish.
    I'm assuming the tank is still young so maybe the best bet would be to look for other water parameters like ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, although nitrate itself won't kill the fish.
    Sometimes, we just never know what causes a specific problem in our tank but hopefully someone can steer you in a successful direction.

11. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

Sorry for your loss, your levels dropping like that seems a bit odd. Have you been dosing your tank with something, I'm wondering if too much dosing has caused an adverse effect. Maybe Luna has got a point in that do some back to back water changes to try and stabilise things a bit. Then once things have settled then start looking at making adjustments if you need to.

12. botie

botie Feather Duster

checked my mag tonight its at 720