Confused & Worried

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by SJR, May 31, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SJR

SJR Astrea Snail

I am soooo happy to find this website. It sounds like some of you have a lot more knowledge than the aquarium stores I am dealing with. I have invested heavily into a marine aquarium but it seems the more I learn the more confused I get!
    I have a 65 gal. with about 40lbs. liverock and recently invested in a (I'm told) a lighting unit to support the coral I currently have and would like to have. It consists of 2 Coralife 10,000K VHO Daylights and 2 Coralife Actinic 110 Watt VHO. I'm told this should give me about 5-6 watts per gallon, but honestly, my marine life looked alot better before this lighting! I have 2 leather corals that are thriving, but my star Zinia's have closed up and only a few will peek out. My Pulsating Zinia's also have become small and barely pulse. Most recently my two anemonies also have closed up and are acting strange. The chemicals all test within acceptable ranges and I have this brown powder like algae all over my sand and glass. Someone PLEASE HELP

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Did you slowly get your corals used to the new Lighting? If not your corals may be suffering from photo shock. Try leaving your lights on for only 5 hours a day for about 4 or five days and then slowly increase the time that they are on by 1/2 hour every 2 to 3 days until you reach you desired photo period ................... John

4. alarsuel

alarsuel Astrea Snail

I agree w/ Fletch. It sounds to me like your corals are adjusting to the new spectrum of lighting. It sounds to me like enough light. I wouldn't be too worried yet. Follow Fletch's advice, and you should be just fine.

Aaron

5. SJR

SJR Astrea Snail

Thanks! I will do that although I asked that question when I bought the new lighting, whether or not my corals would be burned or if I should do anything in particular and I was told no...again, you all seem to know more than the store I deal with. Thanks again!!!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  6. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Well there are a lot of very good LFS but unfortunately they sometimes seem to be the minority, And there are a lot of LFS that are just out for the all mighty dollar. ;) JMO John

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

i agree fully...DOWN WITH PETCO!...they told me that all triggers r reef safe...i should have backhanded that dude... lol :D

8. Click Here!

9. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Don't blame all of PETCO. I have purchased all of my fish at the local store! The two people that are there both have multiple tanks of their own and have been very helpful with my startup and selections. I have been in a couple of the local 'Professional' reef shops and wouldn't give you a nickel for some of their advice. As with any venture, know the people you deal with and find a good forum for idea exchange (shameless plug for 3Reef intended)!!

10. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

I work for a LFS and fortunately we are not (I hope) one of the ones who think of the almighty dollar first. I think what happens in some cases is that the people who work at these places are just not knowlegable in all areas of their trade. I know at my store (PetSuppliesPlus) we have only two people who know anything about salt water and reef set ups....myself and the boss. The ass't manager and the day supervisor will admit to a customer if they don't know the answer to their questions. I'm not sure, though, if the younger kids that work nights and weekends will admit that. I'm sure that they've passed on some info that is a little off base. I know many people also have differing opinions on how to set up tanks, cycle them, etc. I tell customers that they can listen to me, but feel free to talk to other LFS also. I'm always telling people to go online and check out sites...this one especially...and ask questions. I know for one that I don't have all the answers. Another good piece of advice...don't buy on a whim...get some info before buying. Do some research and then buy whether it be dry goods, fish or equipment. Well, I guess that's my little saga of the day..... ;D

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

How old is the tank, meaning how long have you had rock sand and SW in it?

I would think the algae may have a bigger effect on the coral mentioned then lighting

What lighting were these corals under in the LFS?

Can you give us specs of your tank.

and WELCOME to 3REEF
    Good to have you here

Jason

12. SJR

SJR Astrea Snail

Thanks for all the input.. sorry I havn't communicated lately...busy at work! Tank is looking good now. I followed the 5 hours a day lighting and gradually extended the time and xenias are waking up and the glass is clear with only a little brown algae on the sand. My tank is clear and looks beautiful and everyone appears happy!! Especially ME