ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Peppermint Shrimp

Skin: Mint
Dr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond repute

gallery
Default Clownfish Lying on side, unsure of what's wrong

When we got home from work today, one of the clownfish was lying on it's side next to a rock. It's breathing seems to be erratic. Every minute or two he charges out from his spot to swim next to the other clown for a bit, and then goes back to lay down. I checked him for signs of excess slime, discoloration, white spots etc, and he doesn't seem to have any of these brooklynella symptoms at all.

Params:
temp 81.3 (always keep the tank between 80-82)
SG: 1.027
Amm: 0
nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
PH: 8.0

Other clownfish in the tank is behaving normally staying near the same area as the downed clownfish.

Blenny is also acting normally.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to do? I have formalin here if needed. I don't want to stress the fish out by trying 100 different things though.

Last edited by Dr. Bergeron; 04-22-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Dr. Bergeron is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 04-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Coral Banded Shrimp

Skin: Classic
liegeofinveracity has much to be proud ofliegeofinveracity has much to be proud ofliegeofinveracity has much to be proud ofliegeofinveracity has much to be proud ofliegeofinveracity has much to be proud ofliegeofinveracity has much to be proud ofliegeofinveracity has much to be proud ofliegeofinveracity has much to be proud of

gallery

this just started today? i'd leave him be for now. if he goes down and stays down i would put him in a qt tank and take it from there, is there anything in there that could have stung him? my foxface royally messed up a sailfin tang(accidently) and the tang was acting as you described.. he recovered eventually
liegeofinveracity is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Peppermint Shrimp

Dr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Bergeron has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Nothing that I know of is in the tank that could have stung him. This did just start today sometime while we were at work.
Someone was here around noon and said that the clownfish were swimming around fine. So this happened within the last 6 hours.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Coral Banded Shrimp

liegeofinveracity has much to be proud ofliegeofinveracity has much to be proud ofliegeofinveracity has much to be proud ofliegeofinveracity has much to be proud ofliegeofinveracity has much to be proud ofliegeofinveracity has much to be proud ofliegeofinveracity has much to be proud ofliegeofinveracity has much to be proud of

gallery

my first thought was a swim bladder problem but if hes swimming normally when he does move thats probably not the case,lets hope not atleast because thats pretty much it for him if it is a swim bladder thing,does he look "sick"?(other than the breathing) or normal and just laying on the bottom
Old 04-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Peppermint Shrimp

gallery

I'd say he looks normal but is just laying/half floating on the bottom. Should I try to put some food in the water to see if the clowns react? Maybe that would be a good indicator of how sick the fish is?

Any idea what could cause a swim bladder problem, if that was the worse case scenerio?
Old 04-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
Coral Banded Shrimp

gallery

i dont know what causes it specifically and myself have never had a saltwater fish that seemed to have a problem but i did lose a few freshwater fish over the years.n i think(this is a guess) that its kind of like when a dogs stomach twists up,the advantage being you can take the dog to the vet and have it fixed. if his swim bladder was damaged he would be swimming sideways/upside down/listless and it would be noticable,
i cant see any harm in trying to feed him but other than that i'd cross my fingers and hope for the best, the only other guess i have and its a longshot is that these clowns are engaing in some type of mating activity? mine(tomato clowns) do some pretty silly stuff sometimes before they lay eggs.or something spooked him
(my cat lives to sare fish)badly and he smacked himself petty good into the glass or a rock or something,if the heater is in the tank he could have burned himself...there could be a lot of explanations,, sorry i couldn't be more help and i hope the little guy recovers
Old 04-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
Peppermint Shrimp

gallery

Thank you for the advice. I did put some food in and the other clown and blenny ate some, he also got up from the bottom and grabbed a mysis, and then slowly swam/sank back down to the bottom and went back to on his side in the same spot. So he has an appetite... but... not much of one. Normally both clowns are the marine equivalent of hungry hungry hippos so this is a bit disconcerting.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
Bubble Tip Anemone

Skin: Dark
Yellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond repute

3link 
gallery

I never had good luck with Ocellaris
have maroon
I hope it passes
best of luck,
Griffin
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Coral Banded Shrimp

gallery

any news?
Old 04-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
Astrea Snail

d0ughb0y is on a distinguished road

gallery

my occelaris digs a hole in the sand and sleeps at night laying down flat on its side. he is a new addition to the tank and the larger occelaris still would not allow the smaller one anywhere near the anemone.
d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!